75g display DIY practically everything!

Abarger16

So after starting the hobby over a year ago Im getting around to setting up the 75g I purchased at the beginning of 2021!

Ive got the skeleton of the stand build its a typical  2x4 build17055471660369062245542165604536.thumb.jpg.81783fa63716ff7b2414b9db2f5e3390.jpg

Tomorrow is sanding skinning and staining day! Im going with a flush front panel that is removable . Also will be assembling the sump which is a 20l with some Frankenstein baffles.17055473615538572671365510777936.thumb.jpg.512a2cc0571963df87e7a7fcd53ecda9.jpg

Here is my rock work thats been done for over a year! Ill keep pictures coming tomorrow as well

Edited by Abarger16
Changed title
  • Like 6

Question! To stain or paint I purchased this stain 17057951038685869652443462257569.thumb.jpg.03d06636d866738ef465b4972eeb32f9.jpg

And I the panel below is with 1 coat I think it needs at least 2 more coats but im worried that it might not look as good as just going gloss black paint.  Has anyone used black stain on their wood stands and if so did you like it? Howd it turn out? And would you share picture please?

I stained one of my diy stands and it look good new but it was very hard to keep looking nice after have a redsea stand that was black it was much easier to wipe down(painted surface) I would recommend semi-gloss or gloss it’s far easier to clean especially when its a dark color you see every water spot that dries. 

Thanks I was really not pleased with the way it seemed to be going and I will be painting the stand now. Ive got dark brown flooring and was trying to stay with the wood grain but I think paints going to be better.  Ive also decided to finish the inside of the stand and waterproof 5 inches up inside to contain any spills inside. Ill post some more pictures later today after I get to work on it some more. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Abarger16 changed the title to 75g display DIY practically everything!
10 hours ago, Abarger16 said:

One final touch up of paint and we will be leak testing asap!

Looking good.  I'm enjoying following your build.   Keep the updates and pictures coming.

I want to see how those "white wings" to the right and left of the tank will contrast with the tank itself.

20240327_161509.jpg

1 hour ago, obrien.david.j said:

Looking good.  I'm enjoying following your build.   Keep the updates and pictures coming.

I want to see how those "white wings" to the right and left of the tank will contrast with the tank itself.

The wings are going to be color matched with the stand. Ths stand was actually done until I found that butcher board in one of our containers and it left some open space on top of the stand pictured above (it also saved me a bunch of sanding). The wings are an attempt to trim the leftover space. 

• Like 1

Fabricated my light mount this week its overbuilt by a long shot but I cant complain about free 1x3/8 6061 flat bar with slots!! Still need to level it a bit better and the uprights are not level by anymeans im sure its going to bug me until I remake the mount.

20240412_052925.jpg

• Like 3