Flashing Tile Fish, has anyone kept any?

WeBeReefin

I'm trying to decide whether to buy or not on these flashing tile fish. All my tanks have 4-5 Tangs at least along with other wrasses, gobies and such! I've seen some say expert level care and I've seen some say intermediate.....also I see people saying they need to be in a real peaceful tank.  It also sounds like they don't last long??

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!! 

Forages constantly since they eat as long as there is light. They inhabit the area under a reef usually. Eating lots small inverts + worms. 

Reminds me of a cross between a big wrasse/anthias. 

These fish have amazing eyesight. Also can dart very fast so have a lid and be wary around the tank. They come from slightly deeper waters so lights can be disorienting if not consistent. 

If startled they will go a designated zone they find / make. For some reason they will do a "holdo maneuver" into SPS coral thinking they can fit but they do not. 

Color schemes relate to moods but flashing through the full color range is typically stress. I've seen yellow, orange during feeding. Blue, purple, green. And white during handling/transport. 

It's not that they do not last long but take time to acclimate successfully to your aquarium. 

If you want more than one you will need a pair. Groups are not a good idea as they will fight for food. 

The flashing part is cool but it isn't a frequent occurrence unless something is triggering it. 

• Like 1