contemplating cold water...

Arsonmfg

After selling my large tank and 98% of my livestock I'm left with three fish and about 30# of live rock sitting in a small tank waiting for their new home.

Friday I'm picking up my cube tank from James and it would potentialy make a really awesome cold water tank, so now I'm seriously thinking about giving it a try. From the little I've learned its not a huge change but livestock in the means of fish can be difficult to come across as well as being really expensive. Ie: the beautiful box fish from Steve weasts tank.

Any thoughts? Opinions etc?

Information about coldwater reefs is nearly impossible to come across so any info or links would be awesome.

Thank you for the links guys Steve, seeing your temperate tank is actually what made me ever consider taking a new avenue of the hobby, I've been spending a lot of time looking over your coldwater pages. Ever since then it's just been something thats kept my interest although I've never had the tank available...

I'm not a diver although I have a few really close friends who are and I've recently been taking to them about getting into it. It's still in the planning stages to really see if its even going to be a wise choice. I'm sure I'll be even more ocd about it on friday when I pick up the new tank though.

Quick off-topic question for steve. Is there any good diving here in the PNW? I was certified mainly to dive in topical areas and was always told that diving around here was boring and there was nothing to see' date=' common myth or is it actually true?[/quote']

The diving around the puget sound is nice if you can catch days with good vis. The area around victoria island bc is considered one of the best dives in the world, so its far from boring.

Quick off-topic question for steve. Is there any good diving here in the PNW? I was certified mainly to dive in topical areas and was always told that diving around here was boring and there was nothing to see' date=' common myth or is it actually true?[/quote']

There are some great dive sites throughout the Puget Sound area. It is just very different from tropical diving. There are more kelp forests and rock formations....as opposed to the coral formations of tropical diving. The life, however, can be as colorful or more. The stars, nudibranchs, and anemones in Puget Sound beat any of their tropical counterparts when it comes to color.....the fish, however, are less colorful in coldwater. The one thing that impresses me every time is the huge size of the anemones, octopus, eels, and stars in the Sound....they can reach several feet in diameter. The seals can be a PITA though.

The biggest difference though, is the added gear to combat the cold.....a drysuit is mandatory. Here's a site detailing some Puget Sound dives sites.

http://www.seaotter.com/index.html

John....I can't speak to the second link since , I think, that they are new and hopfully promising......BUT...I've ordered from the second link before and there are hoops that must be jumped through. First...you'll need a minimum order....something around four boxes (or something over $1000). It is possible to tag along on a public aquarium order though....but, you'll wait even longer. Second....you'll have to contract with a broker in LA to accept the shipment....get them through customs....and get them onto a domestic flight. This will run about $100 per box. Finally....after you place an order, your order is collected....and this can take months. My order took about six months from order date to receiving date. Past that....it works just great. You just have to have patients and a big enough system to order that much at once Oh...and factor in DOA's.....it takes about two days to reach you.