Lobophyllia rowlyensis

NanoNerd

I bought a frag of, well what was advertised as australomussa rowlyensis but I now "understand" to be lobophyllia rowlyensis. I just wanted to share because I think it's so beautiful, glowing like an ember! It looks like an underwater lava vent or something.

20231020_185948.jpg

The frag I received is huge... and looks even huger in our nano LPS tank 😅 plus the generous seller sent me TWO frags! So one is in the sps nano tank (hidden in an arch to try to spare it too much light/flow), due to lack of room. But might have to rehome one, just because of space until we get off our bums and set up the 40g. I guess it doesn't look like much... but I still love it!20231020_185856.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NanoNerd said:

It was more just seeing that what was advertised as australomussa rowlyensis had gone through a few name changes and now was apparently lobophyllia.

I hear you. Identification was my favorite part of the hobby and I was good at it but seems like when I thought I had it down they changed the name again. It does look like a lobophyllia. Does it have large tentacles that come out at night ?

• Like 1

It's only lived here for 1 night, so I haven't looked. I'll watch it tonight for sure! 

The scientific classifications are tough for me. Part of me doesn't care if someone uses an older classic name, part of me wants to be correct so I don't feel like an idiot. But, all of me thinks it's lame to snidely correct people using older names.

And also all of me is easily confused by the various scientific name progressions when I'm still just trying to learn the basics! 😆

9 minutes ago, NanoNerd said:

It's only lived here for 1 night, so I haven't looked. I'll watch it tonight for sure! 

The scientific classifications are tough for me. Part of me doesn't care if someone uses an older classic name, part of me wants to be correct so I don't feel like an idiot. But, all of me thinks it's lame to snidely correct people using older names.

And also all of me is easily confused by the various scientific name progressions when I'm still just trying to learn the basics! 😆

Lol yeah there can be some pretentious people in the world and you’re surely not an idiot.  It really ticks me off when some insecure person belittles a newbie. We were all beginners and we are all still learning. I don’t think I’m smarter than anyone just maybe read and studied something more than someone else.  We were all beginners and we all have our strengths. The science is mine but when it comes to electrical work or plumbing or anything mechanical I’m lost. I like to know the names more so I can get an idea of how they will do in a tank. 

• Like 2