Banggai Cardinalfish Getting Ban??? + Heads up for a potentail ~45% sales at Petco

Kerbash

Anyone else stocking up Banggai Cardinal before the ban? They are suppse to be very easy to bred + Petco has a 25% off all fish today + another 20% if you have their vital care member or whatever its called.

Just picked up 5 today hopefully i got a both male and female...

https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/news/press-releases/us-proposes-ban-on-imports-exports-of-banggai-cardinalfish-2023-08-15/

Well for us its just being banned from being imported. Not like you would want a wild one especially because the iridovirus has been wrecking havoc on their populations ontop of collection. Usually we find that they are captive bred nowadays.

I don’t see the cardinals going anywhere in price like the Yellow Tangs. 1-They are not beneficial to the tank like the Yellows. 2-They are not sought after like the Yellows due to color.  This is just my personal guess.

The 25% off Aquatic Life is over now. There was also another coupon that was 20% up to $30 that was also stackable with the vital care membership which gets you 20% off.  

Vital care is $5 monthly to get you an extra 20% all fish related .  (This equals $0 monthly because you get a $5 credit to spend every month) 

I got 2-Purple Tangs (med size) & 1-Clown Tang (small size) for $296.98! I couldn’t pass that price up!! Into the Qt they will go!!

2 hours ago, WeBeReefin said:

I don’t see the cardinals going anywhere in price like the Yellow Tangs. 1-They are not beneficial to the tank like the Yellows. 2-They are not sought after like the Yellows due to color.  This is just my personal guess.

The 25% off Aquatic Life is over now. There was also another coupon that was 20% up to $30 that was also stackable with the vital care membership which gets you 20% off.  

Vital care is $5 monthly to get you an extra 20% all fish related .  (This equals $0 monthly because you get a $5 credit to spend every month) 

I got 2-Purple Tangs (med size) & 1-Clown Tang (small size) for $296.98! I couldn’t pass that price up!! Into the Qt they will go!!

nice! I saw a purple tang too, but he was swimming weird so I ended up not buying him.

"the iridovirus has been wrecking havoc on their populations ontop of collection"

This is fortunately not the case. The iridovirus is not present in wild populations and appears to be picked up somewhere along the way in the aquarium supply chain. (See page 16 of A study to assess the impact of international trade on the conservation status of Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai cardinalfish) Ndobe, et al.) 

Also, the species now has significant protection in its native range and is doing well. See the article by someone who is boots on the ground there: https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2023/08/22/are-banggai-cardinals-depleted-in-the-wild/ 

"It has been suggested and being reviewed to move this specie to appendix II of CITES, commercial trade with limited yearly export quota."

This is thankfully also not the case. Over the past several years, a trove of data and numerous CITES documents have been generated outlining the status of the species in the wild. CITES elected not include the species on its appendices, as the determination was made the species is not threatened by trade and therefore is not eligible for CITES listing.