Calcium Reactor Media??

jadams7

Just got my calcium reactor, and I need to get some media for it...

Any suggestions on what to get and what to stay away from? Also where is the best (and cheapest) place to buy it at? I have heard online is good, any specific websites?

Also how many bubbles per second should I run? Does it differ by tank size? Sorry, I really have not done my research on reactors, and with so much fluff on the internet I figured personal testimony is best!

Thanks guys!

Just got my calcium reactor, and I need to get some media for it...

Any suggestions on what to get and what to stay away from? Also where is the best (and cheapest) place to buy it at? I have heard online is good, any specific websites?

Also how many bubbles per second should I run? Does it differ by tank size? Sorry, I really have not done my research on reactors, and with so much fluff on the internet I figured personal testimony is best!

Thanks guys!

You opened up a big can of worms here. (laugh)

I use Gen-X C.R.M. (Calcium Reactor Media) about $20-$25 for 9lbs. I like the natural coral skeletons that Gen-X uses. Most LFS's have this or ARM media in stock. As media can be rather heavy, it might be better to get it local. Bubbles per second??? Start with one per second. You want your reaction chamber PH to be around 6.5 to 6.7 to dissolve the media properly. Also start your drip rate with a broken stream. In other words, let the water stream out and gradually slow it down until you end up with a slightly broken stream. Let this sit for a while. Take a PH reading on your effluent ( unless you have a PH meter in your reaction chamber). If you are above 6.7, slightly increase your bubble count, let it sit a while, and take another reading. Keep increasing the bubble count (slowly) until you reach the desired PH. This can be a slow process.

Also it is best to let your effluent drip into turbulent water, like the drain to your sump, to release any excess CO2. This will help to stabilize the PH of your tank water.

Hope that helps.

Jay

I like ARM because I can get more in the reactor because there is more contact area, and the stuff still dissolves at higher PH 6.7-6.9 so my tank is not effected by low ph as much. I have been using it now for two years, some people claim to have trouble with it but I think the only way you could have issues is if you run the ph to low and "melt" the media and plug the system.

Chief - Great info, about how long should I let it run in between PH testings? Would it be better to run the drip out into my sock, and let it filter through the sock, then fuge, then skimmer chamber, or directly into the skimmer chamber?

Lowman - Sounds good, how much are you looking to get out of it, or what do ya need in trade??

I use to dripp mine into the skimmer, now I just drip it in right after the sock. A controller is the best way, i used mine without for a year... and it was a real pain in the rear. You will be testing often till you get it dialed in then it will get pretty steady but never near as good as a controller.

Chief - Great info, about how long should I let it run in between PH testings? Would it be better to run the drip out into my sock, and let it filter through the sock, then fuge, then skimmer chamber, or directly into the skimmer chamber?

Lowman - Sounds good, how much are you looking to get out of it, or what do ya need in trade??

Your not going to like this answer. As long as it takes for the ph to stabilize. When I set mine up, I adjusted the bubble count once a day.

Jay

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

give this a read, hopefully it will help.

I prefer Koralith media. ARM has high phosphates (IMO) and I have always had problems with CRM, even when using a pH probe in the reactor. Koralith is very pure, large enough not to melt (like ARM, especially for beginners) and has given me consistant results.

I carry all 3 ARM, CRM, and Koralith.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

give this a read, hopefully it will help.

I prefer Koralith media. ARM has high phosphates (IMO) and I have always had problems with CRM, even when using a pH probe in the reactor. Koralith is very pure, large enough not to melt (like ARM, especially for beginners) and has given me consistant results.

I carry all 3 ARM, CRM, and Koralith.

I agree. Also run the effluent through Phoslock or Phosban b4 it goes into your tank will help to further remove any phosphate.

Jay