How corals use different light spectrums

I recently came across this concise article that helps explain how corals use different lighting spectrum to feed the different Chlorophylls. It's a little nerdy and that's probably why I like it :) 

http://www.blueharbor.co.jp/en/Coral-Color-Management.html

tldr; 

If you stick to only 450nm blues because they give most pop - you're significantly under delivering the energy corals need. 

• Like 2

I've always been fascinated by the relation of solar radiation to water depth. 

Particularly how turbidity affects the euphotic zone (coral building - light) and upper photic zone (deep sea coral - minimal to no light). 

Photosynthetic organisms can be inhibited by persistent turbidity while zooplankton can thrive from it. On the other hand some corals are designed to handle transitionalt/fluctuating turbidity. 

Studies have shown corals that face natural turbidity are more resilient to environmental stressor such as bleaching due to the adaptations being made than those situated in clear water. Anthropogenic turbidity affects coral a bit more drastically at different depths because those closer to intensity will be more light driven as sedimentation rises while those in the deep will become less dependent on light as they become "covered." If they can adapt that is. 

Phytoplankton and zooplantkon move between zones carrying much needed nutrients (proteins) to organisms that cannot facilitate their own. (Example: Pyrocystis Fusiformis is a dinoflagellate that regularly travels down to 100m. It is capable of fixing carbon and travels back up to 20m during the day. Not sure if they isolated the chromaprotein for it yet but I know they've already done so for a few others).

Big fan of Koji Wada and the pink nepthea. Frags coming soon haha. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 10:47 AM, Eatfrenchfries said:

Big fan of Koji Wada and the pink nepthea. Frags coming soon haha. 

I needed a quick google search to familiarize myself.   Looks like it's semi-aggressive, wants low flow rates, and Higher Light Intensity...   "... We keep this coral under Eco Tech Radion XR30wPRO LED lights with an intensity of approximately 200 par..."   Is 200 considered Higher Intensity?    

Nice looking coral overall.  Love to see it some day.

On 6/28/2023 at 8:22 PM, Jeff.Tichenor said:

I recently came across this concise article that helps explain how corals use different lighting spectrum to feed the different Chlorophylls. It's a little nerdy and that's probably why I like it :) 

http://www.blueharbor.co.jp/en/Coral-Color-Management.html

Okay, went through the article.  Like the tech/nerdy side... And then I'm trying to extract a take-away for what I'm doing.

I'm running my Radion XR30 Gen4 Pro's at basically 100% on the blue spectrum, 24% on the rest.   I think from the article, I need to bump the Red (~665nm) range up a little, and there was a hint of "need more green" in it as well.    My corals are all growing well, but will admit color isn't differentiated as much as it could be.

The article also gave me a first hint of why a Gen5/6 could be better than a Gen4.   Basically, a the addition of the 395nm/lowest wavelength LED.   

Thanks for sharing!

image.png