Tanks in basements, good or bad idea?

Cobalt

How many people have tanks in their basement? This is the only place in my house that would fit / support a large tank. but I fear I would not be down there enough to monitor conditions and would not maintain it as diligently as a tank on the main floor. Did anyone else experience this? Otherwise the basement is an ideal area, cool temps and spill friendly (relatively) with access to plenty of areas to mess up and store stuff.

mine is in the basement. It is always cool down there (no chiller needed) so I needed to get a second LARGE heater to keep the temp up. Also, when there is a spill, it goes to the floor drain. I make the time to visit my tank often. It is not as convenient as if it were in the living room, but sometimes I need a break from the family...

dsoz

I have a single floor ranch style house, and I am about to put my 72 bow in the living room and run the piping out directly out the wall and to the garage, where I will have my frag tank and sump/fuge. This will pretty much give me the best of both worlds, the cool garage to store all of the tank stuff, leaving just the tank itself in the living room! Hopefully the tank works out for you down there, and time will tell how my system will do! Anything to keep from having to spend that extra $ on the chiller I guess...

I would make sure that the basement is sheetrocked and painted. You did not say if it was.

The only thing that I can think of that might become a problem is moisture buildup that could lead to mold. Maybe look into having a small bathroom ceiling fan hooked up to draw out moist air if this becomes a problem. But if you have a window into the basement that would be a good thing too.

I bring this up because on another board a guy was talking about moisture buildup in his basement area where his tank and laundry room are. He used the bathroom ceiling fan to correct the problem.