Cal Reactor

Flash21

I would first start with: What’s the reason why you need the calcium reactor? There should ideally be a purpose for any system change and calcium reactors have benefits and drawbacks. If nothing is known about this, what makes you want to get one? 

I would suggest going on YouTube and searching Calcium Reactor. I wont spend the next half hour writing all of this out when there’s already better and more succinct resources available for you that are a simple search from your finger tips. There are tons of great resources both video (or written via Google if you prefer) that can give you all the information you need to know.

What I hope to help with is the idea of reef methods to replenish major element uptake from corals and picking the right one for you.

With how expensive the equipment is for running a calcium reactor, this only becomes cost effective if you have a slammed SPS tank and have very high consumption demands of your current method of 2 part (cheaper alternative methods using kalk is coming back into popularity as well). So if you’re into a mixed reef with some sps and do mainly LPS and softies, there’s no need for a calcium reactor. 

Ultimately it’s the mentality of buying into a method hype and constantly switching for the sake of trying something new that inhibits long term tank stability and ultimately its success. I am all for people learning about methods for the sake of educating themselves in what’s available but I’d suggest to only incorporate new methods into a system if there is a problem you are trying to solve. 

• Like 1