Todd's 28g NC HQI

Cobalt

Well, I think I have long passed the infant mortality phase so its safe to post! (knock on wood). After lurking in the forums for quite a while now here I go. My nano cube is 6 months old and has endured a kalk precipated storm (with some casualties) and the power going out while on vacation. I haven't taken any equipment photos and can post those next. It's mostly SPS and has been pretty successful. Had only two deaths (one fell behind the rocks) and one brown-out. A couple other corals have lost the color they had at the store but seem to be ok. I am already considering modding this to run a 250W DE, but it is considerable effort only to find the tank might overhead. Maybe I need to wait another year or two and get a small solaris retrofit.

Specs:

JBJ 28g Nanocube HQI

No skimmer (nutty)

Aqua Medic 150W TEC chiller

reufge/cheato prison in back with 15W PC lightbulb (just standard household incandescent replacement)

Tunze Nanostream 6025

Hydro Korilia #2

Neptune Aquacontroler Jr

300W titantium heater (I keep the thermostat on 55 in the winter)

two 40amp/hour battery backup units (one for powerhead, other for heater)

Fish:

none (sad)

Inverts:

Electric Orange Hermit, Blueleg Hermit, couple others

2 Peppermint shrimp

Astrea, Zebra Turbo, and Nassarius snails

Feather Duster

4 clams

Corals: too many to name or remember their names.(scratch)

Now for the pics. Half of them came out blurry so I need to retake those. For now here's a few.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

update

well, the yellow watchman hasn't shown his face in over a week. he couldn't have jumped and was eating, but was behaving a little erratic, sometimes darting around the rim of my tank and not afraid of me. Once I even touched him. no body found.

i added a skimmer and have kept up with weekly water changes, what a difference it makes in the SPS coloration!

on a slightly positive note the rainiford's goby and pygmy hawk seem to be surviving although I have never seen them eat frozen.

new photos:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

RIP

web.jpg

web.jpg

well right now the tank is 76 during the winter. in the summer that might get up to 78. I know about the goby, I was pretty sure it was cold water when I bought it. I asked they guy at Upscales (not travis) if it would thrive at my tank temp and he said it would do just fine and sold it to me. When I got home and did more research, my suspicions were confirmed and I called him back and chewed him out. I'd have to tear down my entire system to get him out and I just can't deal with that. Its my fault really for not researching it more fully.