SPS coral acclimation

sontdo

Do you need to do acclimation for SPS and LPS corals? I read in a reef book that you have to do it. I have not been doing it for the few SPS frags. They did not survive. I just put them in the tank directly. I know current flow and lighting are important too. But this may explain why I get coral bleaching quickly. What you think?

Thanks Reefboy. I figure that might have happened to the acro frags, millipora I bought. Luckily they were not too expensive. Green slimer, chalis, another green millipora are doing OK. I hope with the upgrade flow and lighting will help. What is TMPCC and where to buy it?

Please help on the below issue. I plan to buy lighting today.

I'm planning to upgrade my lighting to keep SPS alive. Currently I have MH Ballast PFO 175 W X 2 with 6 VHO Actinic blue in a 100G tank, 48X24X20, with a canopy. Space is limited under the canopy. What is the best solution for optimal lighting upgrade to 250W X2 and which ballast? Thanks for any recommendation. I'd like to keep the set up simple due to limited space.

I don't know a lot about MH lights because I went with a T5HO TEK light. It works for me for now.

I do think that when/if I swithch to MH lights, electronic ballasts are the way to go. They are more expensive, but that expense has a reason. They have better output than the magnetic ballast.

HTH

dsoz

the only acclimation they need is floated to temp then dumped. the ONLY exception to this is if the water they are in is of a signifigantly lower S.G than your water.......then you want to do acclimate them slower by dripping or simply a cup in...cup out, other than that you are doing them a favor by simply getting them out of the water they shipped in.

When I say dumped I mean dumped into your pest treatment bucket with tankwater of course

I do think that when/if I swithch to MH lights, electronic ballasts are the way to go. They are more expensive, but that expense has a reason. They have better output than the magnetic ballast.

For DE bulbs, the opposite is actually true. HQI ballest burn the bulbs significantly bighter but use more energy and produce much more heat. Electronic ballests are nice because they can run any type of bulb (pulse start, probe start, HQI).

I personally like electronic ballasts. Mostly because its what i have, but they don't get as hot and i think they run the bulb a little longer before you need to change it. I don't have info to back that up though.

As far as acclimation, i float for 20-30min to bring to temp. Then i add about 1/2 cup of water to the bag every 15-20min for 2 hours. Then dip in TMPCC for 7-10 min, then rinse, then into the tank.

Thanks Impur. I'll check out those sites. I already checked marinedepot.com

I just put two MJ1200 with mod 1600 in my tank last night. The flow is crazy. My Xenia does not like it. I have to find another low current spot for it. I have to see if LPS can take it. Next step is upgrade lighting to 250 W.