Green star polyp normal behavior?

fjdog

Hi all, I am new to corals in general and bought a small green star polyp frag and put it in the tank about 3 weeks ago. It has attached to the rock and seems to be growing, but the polyps retract in the afternoon and evening. At night and when the lights first come on in the morning, the tentacles are fully expanded. Is this normal behavior or is there something weird about my system that is causing this. In the store, they always seem to be expanded. Any suggestions? For reference, the frags are under t5 lighting about 12 inches down in the water profile. Also all chemical tests came out with favorable results (I usually do testing in the evening).

My first impression is that IT IS normal for corals to take some time to acclimate to a new system. I have seen GSPs retracted for several weeks and it has not had any bad outcome on the coral.

You didn't say what fish you have. I ask because I had a GS maroon clown that pulled the polyps off of some of my GSPs, back in the day. And they might be extending at night when they aren't being bothered.

• 2 weeks later...
My tang is killing GSP by constantly nipping at the polyps.

She's done away with patches on two rocks so far, and is working on the last patch of GSP growing on the overflow...

She also nipped the polyps off a large leather, which is now much happier in the 60G cube!

Will you loan me your tang (the enforcer)? I'm getting pissed at the GSP as they are still pulling their tentacles in during my prime viewing time but still expanding their purple mat over the rock! Aargh! Perhaps corals are not in my future!!!!! GSP is supposed to be one of the easiest to keep.

Mine are now growing across the sand. At least they will be easy to frag, and they are always out. I'll be fragging it soon, guess i'll call it TAE-GSP = The Always Extended Green Star Polyps. Or GSPAO = Green Star Polyps Always Open

Ebay here i come!!! (laugh)

Well, now I have GSPNO (green star polyps never open). I am not sure what is the cause. The only chemical parameter that might be suspect is the salinity. I always seem to get bubbles on the needle and get a different reading every time. The last reading, after bubbles were knocked off was 1.025, but maybe I will take a water sample in to have it read on a better one.

I guess it might be the coral beauty, cause he is always nipping at the live rock and the GSP might be just incidental to his activities. Anyhow...no worries, I like the coral beauty way better than the GSP. I might move the GSP to my quarantine tank and see if it recovers. Any soft corals out there that might be more coral beauty resistant?

• 4 months later...

Im with IMPUR with GSPMAO thats (mostly). During the day for sure. Lights out, or hermit invasion, closed. They are certainly making there way as the filled the 2" disk they were on when purchased and have moved onto the rock. There so cute eh? Unfortunately, its the biggest rock in the tank! I wonder who will win in the ZOA vs GSP battle. Awww, nature, well recreated nature.

Kris

lol.....gsp will win that battle every time. my gsp drowned out some green polyps and some sunburst zoas.....my new trick is to get the GSP to grow up the false wall in my biocube. hoping to cover wall like some 70's psychadelic shag carpet....lol

FWIW....GSP is easy to remove if its not where you wnt it. mine always kinda peels off the rock like some strange silly putty. theni can put the mat wherever i want.

• 6 months later...