To drip or not to drip

YUP

So when I was in the hobby back in the day I was extremely serious about acclimation. Then after years of being in the hobby, I noticed a few things with my livestock. 

I noticed I had more long term success by using classic freshwater acclimation. The ol float bag and dump. 

I tried to always keep my water at .24 which to me was close enough to anyone else's reef tank salinity and same as local fish store.

I never did introduce water from bag to tanks. I started floating and would dump some of my tank water into bag and then max 30 min they are out of bag and Into QT or whatever. I would even test bag saltwater to see salinity but nobody I ever bought from had less than .23 salinity. So I gave up doing that step and just did my regular steps. This went for everything I dont care what the critter is. 

What is everyone's opinion nowadays? 

I’m the weirdo who tests the water in the bag for ph & salinity, then compares to quarantine tank water. If it’s close on ph and not too far off on salinity, I’ll float n separate fish from water to quarantine tank.  If it’s way freaking off, I’ll adjust my qtank to match closer and then over the course of the observation period, bring the fish/invert up to speed to where I keep my display.   Seems to me like moving back up in salinity is harder than going down, and ph differences seem to affect things more than salinity.  Kinda depends on source too, store vs mail order.  I made the mistake of drip acclimating mail order fish once, before understanding the role oxygen and ammonia play with each other.  

Test water from local store for salinity. If it's different then float and drip acclimate in sump. Time depends on salinity variance.

If it's ordered online or the local store salinity matches - float for temperature and then immediately open the bag and transfer fish only (no bag water enters the tank).

Never drip acclimate an online order due to the ammonia rapidly turning toxic once you open the bag.

• Like 1