Dinkins lab-grade sanitation for Phyto growth

obrien.david.j

I've been growing Phyto at home since March 2022 using the Poseidon Reef Systems setup.  17 successful harvests under my belt.  I'm happy with the system, but I still like reading posts about growing to learn and get other perspectives.

One of the points made by Poseidon Reef is keeping a culture going is all about sanitization and sterilization.   Their system is each harvest is made in a disposable plastic bag, placed inside the one gallon glass culture jar - and uses disposable 1/4" rigid tubing.   Harvest and resetting up the culture is fast and easy for me.  I'm done in ~45minutes for four 1 gallon grow jars.

This morning, I saw an ad for Dinkins Phyto and Pods.  They advertise they use lab grade sterilization techniques, and published them.  Interesting, probably needed for professional scale grows - but Oh more work than I'm willing to do.

Posting here because I found it interesting.

Our Process:

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens uses lab-grade sanitation procedures every step of the way. First, we culture each phytoplankton strain separately in seven-gallon wide-mouth carboys. Once a batch of phyto finishes, we soak the carboy and rigid airline tubing in Alconox overnight, then scrub it by hand the following morning. After a very thorough rinse, we allow it to dry.

Once the carboys are dry, we thoroughly clean the inside with isopropyl alcohol and allow that to dry for about half a day. Late that evening, we fill the carboys with five gallons of saltwater and the appropriate amount of F/2 fertilizer from Florida Aqua Farms.

Our saltwater is made using seven-stage RODI water mixed with Hw-Marinemix Professional Salt. This lab-made salt is very high quality and mixes completely clean with no residue.

Once the saltwater is added, we then use bleach to chlorinate the water, which disinfects it. Next, we hook up the rigid tubing to our air pumps. The air from the pumps is filtered through 0.2 micron filters to remove any airborne contaminants. We let the chlorinated water bubble all night to thoroughly sanitize the water, the F/2, the rigid airline tubing, and the inside of the carboy. The following morning, we treat the water with sodium thiosulfate to remove the chlorine. Only after all this is done do we add one gallon of starter culture and begin the process of growing our new batch!

https://dinkinsaquaticgardens.com/collections/phytoplankton

https://poseidonreefsystems.com/