Petco

JeffP

(sad)

Stopped by Petco today to pick up some mysis, and I saw a beautiful powder brown tang who looked so sad. He was sad because he was infested with ich. It was so bad, it was deforming his shape. And they had to massive carpet anemones in there too with him, and they were so badly bleached it was heartbreaking. The price were really low to - and i really wanted to rescue the fish, but I don't have to means to quarantine the tang or anemones to clear the ich. :( What a sad, sad scene.

The worst part, mentioned the ich to the person at the checkout stand and she was like "oh, so and so is off today and monday. She'll fix it on Tuesday. (wife) It doesn't fix when your whole system is so riddled with ich and cyano. GRRRRR!(flame)

it is a shame. but its the structure of the business, a highly specialized market embedded within a store of general animal knowledge. being a former employee myself, i understood your same frustration from beneath the blue shirt. there is a sense of powerlessness as you try to encourage practical changes but only at the discretion of people in business suits somewhere in california. its also important to note that the wholesaler the NW petcos use dont necessarily send the happiest or healthiest animals to begin with. i know its a bit more work on your part, but if you see things, tell the manager you want to request a comment card, and then mail it in yourself. corporate offices take matters like that seriously, especially if they are from customers.

Don't buy from them, rescuing a fish is a great thought but your encouraging the store to buy more fish they cause to need rescuing. I went to our local petco for fun the other week and my wife and I where in shock how badly most all the fish looked. Please don't buy from a place that has careless disregard to the livestock they manage.

I have to agree with both Jordan and Nyles!!

If you are in PetCo and see something that you need to bring to the managers attention........ do it by comment card to the HQ offices. Seems to get their attention more if you jump over the locals heads somewhat.

And I have to agaree with Nyles buying items there just gives them a reason to replace what they have sold. Maybe if they don't sell anything they will stop carrying live SW creatures and things would be better.

I agree with everyone so far. A while back I decided to 'rescue' a clown trigger riddled with ich and who knows what else. Had him in qt for a week or so before he finally bit the dust. Thankfully I was able to talk the manager into a massive discount, but when i returned to give an update, I noticed they had another identical fish with the same issues. Never though to bring it to corporates attention, but that would have been the best thing to do. I wasted a half an hour ripping the manager a new one before i finally stormed off. Always unfortunate to see any animal treated that poorly.

There structure is such that they get to reorder something like 125% of what they sell. SO if they sell a $40 PBrT they get $50 in that store to spend on the next order. So, buying a fish there directly allows that particular store (some are much better than others) to order more fish the next week.

I got a response back from corporate already - they talked to a "Chris" the manager out there and they made sure to assure me the cyano in the tanks won't harm fish - completely skipping over my bigger emphasis on the ich problem. So I wrote them back, let's see what they say.

Obviously do to the fact that all the Petco's seem to have the same consistancy, there husbandry is pretty much the same at all stores and I can tell you from past experiences with supplying products to them they don't care about quality, only who is cheapest.

I will be nailing the local Petco to the wall this next week. they have 3 carpet anenomes under normal light...

Tanasborne right? That's the one has the horrible ich on the brown tang too. But as other here said, and as I realized - talking to the store does nothing. Go to corporate.