Lighting 24" deep tank

impur

I'm in the planning stages for my new 60g cube. Since I have an ARO 250w MH eballast I'd like to use that. Will a 250w MH reach the bottom of the tank well enough?

I'm considering either a Luminarc III or Luminarc Mini reflector, and I'd like to use DE bulbs. I may also supplement the MH with 2-4 T5s. This will all be enclosed in a canopy.

While i love my current T5 setup, I've found myself missing the shimmer of MH. So, regardless of the increased cost involved, i'm switching back. I only hope I can get the same color as my current setup.

Should be ok with it especially if you supliment with the t5s. I know what you are saying about the t5s my sons 175MH loooks alot better than my big tankDOH! I am going to do a MH on my smaller set up to but only half as much as your cube.

My tank is only 18" deep, and my 250W M58 magnetic ballasts have absolutely no problem lighting the bottom of the tank even with the crappy spider reflectors I'm currently using. I'm running XM 10K bulbs and my SPS are growing like crazy (even on the substrate). I'm planning on switching to Reeflux 12K bulbs soon and will replace the spiders with DIY luminarcs; with the improved reflectors, I don't expect to lose much growing-power even with the lower-PAR bulbs.

IME, you'll be more than fine with the 250W on a two-foot deep tank -- especially if you go HQI.

A Lumenarc III is 20X20 or more and so would leave basically no room for suppliments. Why are you set on using DE bulbs? SE tends to be more PAR per watt of electricity, and you can get even more light because you don't have to use a glass shield. Plus the range of bulb options is much bigger.

I built a full tank setup (including lighting) this size for a customer, and what I ended up using is a lumenarc mini with a 250 watt reeflux 12K SE bulb, and 2 24" t-5's, one an ATI blue+ and one a UVL pure actinic. That light setup, IMO, was perfect for this size tank. Honestly no way I could have thought of to improve upon it. Color, growth and "pop" factor were all amazing.

Just my thoughts,

-Sol

Sol - i'm not necessarily set on the DE bulbs. You raise a good point regarding the glass shield. I thought DE bulbs gave the same PAR as SE. Guess i'll be doing some more research there. I'll keep in mind that setup you suggest. And great job on this tank BTW! I'll be recommending you to people for sure!

Nyles - sweet! I had forgotten about your hookup. Lets get some beers ;)

My 65g is 22" deep I believe. Been awhile, but pretty sure.

I use 4 T5 39w bulbs, they all share a reflector, (ya I know but the fixture was really cheap). I have no problems with corals like zoas, rics, GSP, xenia, and some euphyillia's on the sand bed.

Your going to be more then straight with the MH's and the T5's IMO

HTH