Options needed

Derbird

After my heater disaster I need advice on how to move forward.

All fish are gone as well as most inverts.  SPS is also gone

Some LPS and softies are still alive but angry.

I have a little 5 gallon to use as a rescue tank but can I just throw the surviving corals and inverts in there with no bio filter?

Also can I save my main system from whatever the heater released or do I have to start over.

I did a 20 long but had fish and a bunch of corals in it. I ran an aquaclear HOB with carbon and sponge for filtration. Mostly relied on 5 gal changes every 1-2 weeks. Again though, I had fish polluting the system so you likely wouldn’t need it as much.

My display I did a 70-80% water change after coral removal and ran the DT with live rock with Triton detox (for the bottle specified amount of time). Waited about a month and put everything back. Don’t recall it going through any significant cycle. Been fine since.

your call but if you want to borrow all of my QT stuff I used and the Detox I have left (doesn’t take a ton) you are more then welcome to.

Presumably, you can get a 90% water change ready. match temperature, alkalinity, and salinity dead-on with the tank. Drain, refill, done.

I'd also run a boatload of carbon in case you've got something weird going on. I'd probably do this first though:

• grab a powerhead and hose out the rock (in place) to loosen any detritus from the recent deaths, get it all blow around into the filtration (socks?)
  • Dump 25% of the water to pull out the fines the filtration didn't catch and cut back on any dissolved stuff.
  • A few days later, do that 90% water change (really...as close to 100% as you can reasonably get).
  • Run a ton of carbon for 1/2-1 week, then replace it with more just to be sure.

I'd guess you're pretty much back in business...just missing lots of your prized creatures.  Sorry you're dealing with this...really horrible