Getting the right color exposure

ANGUS

What does it take to overcome 20' date='000K halides and blue fluorescent bulbs when it comes to taking aquarium photos. I can never get the correct color of my corals. I use to have 10,000K and never had a problem.[/quote']

Usually you either have to adjust the white balance in your camera or if you have a photoshop you can take care i it in there...

If the camera has a Custom White balance setting you can use a piece of white plastic or acrylic in the aquarium. Fill the frame with the white piece of choice then set that to your camera's white balance. The white balance is what tells your camera what color white is, all other colors go off of that.

Shooting in Raw is often the best IMO, as it allows you not only to modify the color tone, but you can also adjust the saturation and replace what the flash took out (if your using a flash). Raw is also good because you have the ability to adjust the sharpness of the image, although there are more then a few tricks for adjusting sharpness.

If this doesn't make sense to you post what kind of camera you have and then maybe we can help more. I work with images all day so I might be able to help out.

HTH

If the camera has a Custom White balance setting you can use a piece of white plastic or acrylic in the aquarium. Fill the frame with the white piece of choice then set that to your camera's white balance. The white balance is what tells your camera what color white is, all other colors go off of that.

Shooting in Raw is often the best IMO, as it allows you not only to modify the color tone, but you can also adjust the saturation and replace what the flash took out (if your using a flash). Raw is also good because you have the ability to adjust the sharpness of the image, although there are more then a few tricks for adjusting sharpness.

If this doesn't make sense to you post what kind of camera you have and then maybe we can help more. I work with images all day so I might be able to help out.

HTH

Being a novice, I would like to take you up on your generous offer. I have a new PANASONIC DMC-FZ8. I've been shooting at the novice setting which doesn't take any brains.

you'll be good.

Just shoot some pics in RAW. Upload them with the software. There will be a white color bar, usually a slider, to adjust the temp. Adjust away until it looks right. You will also need to adjust sharpness. I find contrast and shadows come first, then sharpness for me.

HTH