Vodka dosing

reef165

I have not tested vodka but I have tested sugar and prodibio (vodka alternative) and they have there place, however a healthy tank should not need any of these.

Is there a certain problem you trying to fix or are you just interested in the methods of dosing vodka? People that used to dose vodka mostly have went to prodibio as a SAFE alternative.

It works like a champ...LOL...but like Nyles said, a healthy tank does not need it...I would say should not relay on it, but I think with a big skimmer and small weekly dosing and cycling those, could be an extra source of health in our tank...I mean, we have phosphate remover, carbon, purigen, skimmers, zeo, etc...I think that since we are trying to keep a piece of the ocean in our home, but lack alot of what the ocean offers, including the water volume, everything helps and this is just another thing to add to list...

The vodka is useful in feeding the anaerobic bacteria's that live deeper within the rock. These bacteria's are what convert nitrates into gas so they can be expelled from the aquarium.

I have dosed vodka myself many times in very small amounts about 1mL per 10g's. Which results in about 1 shot for a 300g tank. I did so in a seperate bucket while I was cooking my LR.

My results have been good in that the rock was healthy and I still test 0 for nitrates. I stopped using it when I setup the system and stocked it.

If you are going to do this on a running system the reports I have read say that skimming is needed as the vodka affects 02 levels, but that is just what I have read.

I did not keep 02 counts on the cooking rock.

HTH