Removing Coralin algae How do you do it?

bluecheese

OK there might have been a thread on this already but I can't find it. So how do you remove coralin algae from acrylic without emptying the tank and without scratching the surface. Let me know the tricks you have used that really work, it grew in the middle of my tank while I was away and I'd like to get it out at least at that spot.

Credit card will work. I think whatever you use its just a big job no matter how its done. Glass tanks can be done carefully with a razor blade very easily but acrylic is difficult. Seems like no matter how hard I try to not scratch my acrylic tanks they always end up getting small scratches from those darn magnet cleaners.

Jay

Interesting,

What type of Urchin do you have. Reef safe?

From my understanding, urchins beaks can easily scratch an acrylic tanks...I could be very wrong...but you might want to confirm either way, just to be safe...

Other then that they are reef safe, with the exception that they like to knock things over...

Im with Brandon,,, you dont want to use urchins in an acrylic tank to clean the coralline. When I sell an urchin I ask what kind of tank they have, then if its acrylic I ask how diligent they are at keeping the coralline at bay.

If you want to see a sample come on down, I have a tank that has etching all over it from the urchins.

Ive had urchins strip the purple right off my rocks also. Plus they stick my hands and break off inside to sting. Ouch!! I had one with long spines and a orange eyeball looking thing that spewed sand looking stuff. I guess this how they ....well....crap for lack of a better word.

Jay

2 pincushions for how big of a tank?

155 bow (6 foot long) They do ok, but they really dont get around all the rock very fast (about 300 pounds), I have seen lots of acrylic tanks with (blue) Royal tuxedos / pincushion with no issues, I cant vouch for other species though.