Torch dying ?

hkhsiao

It might be expelling zooxanthellae, aka “pooping”. Have you seen any brown stringy stuff? Sometimes happens if the lighting has been changed.

No pooping observed but It has been like that closed for days. I measured water parameters and found ALK at 6.7kH and NO3 at 20ppm. Not sure if this is the reason but I immediately did a 60% WC and brought ALK to 7.8 and reduce NO3 to 8. And will slowly bring ALK to 8.4 ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a hammer coral loose a head over night a few months ago. The other head has never showed any negative signs and is still healthy to this day. I never figured out what the cause was. 

I guess disappearing as clean as in my case, that head can assume to be a goner ? :(

Im not sure what causes it. I didnt cut off the dead head. The other head looked happy and healthy so the thought of cutting it off never even crossed my mind. A few months after it died i moved it just for aesthetic purposes only and actually used the dead head/stem to glue from in the new location.   

• Like 1

Im not sure what causes it. I didnt cut off the dead head. The other head looked happy and healthy so the thought of cutting it off never even crossed my mind. A few months after it died i moved it just for aesthetic purposes only and actually used the dead head/stem to glue from in the new location.   

I think I found the culprit! Just witnessed skunk cleaner shrimp scavenged the polyps from torch coral! I am not sure if it is because that torch head is weak and dying or shrimps just got too hungry! I didn’t feed them in QT often enough I guess! I thought they were reef safe!

I think I found the culprit! Just witnessed skunk cleaner shrimp scavenged the polyps from torch coral! I am not sure if it is because that torch head is weak and dying or shrimps just got too hungry! I didn’t feed them in QT often enough I guess! I thought they were reef safe!