Fish for Biocube?

Im looking for a final fish for my Biocube 29, Ive got an Occelaris, a Yellow belly damsel and a Lawnmower Blenny. the Lawnmower owns the bottom of the tank so its gotta be a mid to top dweller. preferably on the larger side and more or less outgoing, Ive looked at Firefish, Bicolors, Royal Grammas, pretty much the entire Nano fish section of LiveAquaria, nothing really catching my eye. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. :D

Well the Biocube selection of Liveaquaria is pretty much the best fit for your size of tank. You can do a few of the Wrasses, a Flame Angel, Small Yellow Tang (not without a ticket from the tang police of course), shrimp are always fun to watch as well.

• Like 2

I recommend a wrasse. Flasher wrasse over 6 line. They are too fun. If you wanna spend a lil more get a mystery wrasse.

with a damsel it’s going to be hard to introduce peaceful fish

A royal gramma or dottyback would be better over firefish

an angelfish is very fun also but takes space. Coral beauty is nice and flame angel can pick on softies for snacks. I like a potters angel but they are Hard to keep.

try a bicolor angel or another dwarf angel. Can always add more damsels but you may regret it, but add the dottyback, angel, or damsel last! This is key. Aggressive fish last

Edited by Sasquatch

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

I recommend a wrasse. Flasher wrasse over 6 line. They are too fun. If you wanna spend a lil more get a mystery wrasse.

with a damsel it’s going to be hard to introduce peaceful fish

A royal gramma or dottyback would be better over firefish

an angelfish is very fun also but takes space. Coral beauty is nice and flame angel can pick on softies for snacks. I like a potters angel but they are Hard to keep.

try a bicolor angel or another dwarf angel. Can always add more damsels but you may regret it, but add the dottyback, angel, or damsel last! This is key. Aggressive fish last

I like the Idea of the Flasher Wrasse,but the dwarf angels seem a bit large to me, as much as Idlove and Eiblis or BiColor. Another I had my eye on was the Lantern Bass. Semi Agressive, so should be able to hold its own with the damsel, and a bit larger, around 4 inches. It also doesnt fall into the typical beginner fish category. anyone with experience with these guys?  

Never seen it before or heard of it really.. I’d say go with the flasher wrasse. You will enjoy it’s personality more. It will say hi and pump it’s fins. Bright red. Just use a lid if you don’t 

cuttlefish gets some nice quality colored ones in. Don’t settle for a dull one

gramma or dottyback will hold their own but will also hide in a hole. 

10 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Never seen it before or heard of it really.. I’d say go with the flasher wrasse. You will enjoy it’s personality more. It will say hi and pump it’s fins. Bright red. Just use a lid if you don’t 

cuttlefish gets some nice quality colored ones in. Don’t settle for a dull one

gramma or dottyback will hold their own but will also hide in a hole. 

Yeah I think im gunna go with that, Since im making a lid here soon anyway. thanks for your help!

• Like 1

I've got a nice clown, royal gramma, and a bangaii cardinalfish. I've had the flame angel for about a week until it started to devour my acans. Yellow prawn goby is pretty cool too. And I've seen quite a few folks with firefish in their Biocube. Unfortunately we are pretty limited at 29 gallons which is why I'm already saving for my larger tank lol.

9 hours ago, nate.hobart.1 said:

I'd get a snapping shrimp and goby buddy. IMO it's the best combo for a little tank- tho they tend to rearrange things.

Possum wrasse is one of my favorites cause they are very very chill.

Pygmy hawk fish have tons of personality.

Plus one on the possum wrasse - very chill and would probably be an ideal small tank inhabitant.  Not aggressive eaters from what I have seen so something to keep an eye on if you get one.

I like the look of the Possum Wrasse, Id love a jawfish or goby/shrimp but i dont think my Lawnmower would tolerate them. I think Im between the Flasher and Possum Wrasse, Or maybe a Canary Blenny.

I have a 25 cube that has a lawn mower blenny and a shrimp/goby pair. Goby is a good sized pink spotted one. The pair was added after the lawnmower and there has never been any issues. YMMV, I guess.

I've had goby and blenny in the same tank. It's really a non issue- especially if you have a snapping shrimp paired with the goby. If they ever feel threatened they just retreat to their den together. Honestly- a red snapping shrimp and yasha goby is just wonderful for a nano. Check out this video.

• 2 weeks later...

Id honestly get rid damsel before adding anything new. Im assuming the damsel is a juvi right now but once he matures he could really create some havoc. 

Also i would  not recomoned adding a yellow tang an algea grazer with a lawnmower blenny also an algea grazer in a small tank.  The tang would stess over the feeing competition and it would not end well.

Id add a midas blenny to get some activity towards the middle and top of the tank. They are beautiful swimmers. 

Alot of the fish being discussed here are jumpers and the biocubs dont come with lids