Kessil A80 experiences?

kingsransom

Anybody have any experience using the Kessil A80 light?

I am planning to setup a 36"x18"x12" shallow lagoon tank with a 1 to 1.5 inch sandbed and was wondering if these would work well (planning on purchasing 2 of them). Not planning on SPS, just a bunch of my BTAs, torch LPS, acan, frogspawn and toadstools.

I know the documentation for these lights states an 18"x18" spread at 6" above water level which would seem perfect coverage if I bought 2 for that size of tank. Given that it is shallow I am wondering if they would be fine (Kessil states the A80 at 100% is equivalent to the a A160WE at 45% despite the big difference in wattage due to much more efficient LEDs). Really like the simmer of the kessil and the tank will be in the living room and these lights have no fan so that would be another plus.

Edited by kingsransom

Call me a hater, but for the amount of cash you spend on Kessil gear, you sure don't get much. If your not going to grow demanding sps, why not go with a nice looking Chinese ebay led?

Or if you want something that is pretty sweet (fully controllable with cell phone app) the AI hydra prime lights are VERY nice and would have good resale value.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 6/2/2017 at 11:08 PM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Call me a hater, but for the amount of cash you spend on Kessil gear, you sure don't get much. If your not going to grow demanding sps, why not go with a nice looking Chinese ebay led?

Or if you want something that is pretty sweet (fully controllable with cell phone app) the AI hydra prime lights are VERY nice and would have good resale value.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yep the price is what is steering me away from Kessils. I think I will stick with my 4 bulb 24w T5 setup I currently run over my 20 long. Everything in the tank grows like crazy under that light. Only issue is the new bulb cost every year of $80 and no shimmer but I am always super happy with colors and growth.