Pest zoas

jonas503

Does anyone know if the ugly dark green zoas are like a pest zoa or something? They seem to grow very fast and will probably take over the other zoas? How do I get rid of just those ones if possible?dbad7ea4ce10fd817848775df93a12e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue with a frag of some green/brown zoas I bought a few years ago. They're everywhere on every rock, I'll occasionally just pull them off when they start getting too thick, i jusr give them away free with a warning they spread lol, by the way those zoas on the right are awesome! So are the others, if you ever frag those let me know and I'd be happy to buy them or trade if you're interested!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

They are going to overtake the rock. 

Do NOT rip them out by hand. You will get some measure of palytoxin poisoning. I recommend clipping them off with bone cutters and gloves. Wear eye protection so they do not squirt you and do not get it in your mouth.

The slime is toxic to you and your tank. Each zoa/play will be different level of toxicity. I would recommend just cutting off with bone cutters the zoas you want to keep, tossing or trading the whole rock off

***If after fragging coral you start to have trouble breathing or your chest is tight. First calm down, deep breathes, you could be stressing yourself into symptoms. If they do continue consult medical help***

• Like 1

They are going to overtake the rock. 
Do NOT rip them out by hand. You will get some measure of palytoxin poisoning. I recommend clipping them off with bone cutters and gloves. Wear eye protection so they do not squirt you and do not get it in your mouth.
The slime is toxic to you and your tank. Each zoa/play will be different level of toxicity. I would recommend just cutting off with bone cutters the zoas you want to keep, tossing or trading the whole rock off

***If after fragging coral you start to have trouble breathing or your chest is tight. First calm down, deep breathes, you could be stressing yourself into symptoms. If they do continue consult medical help***

Thank you for the great info. I do know about paly toxin and will be careful. There is a frag plug under there somewhere. I'll try and just pull it all out.

• Like 2

I have the same issue with a frag of some green/brown zoas I bought a few years ago. They're everywhere on every rock, I'll occasionally just pull them off when they start getting too thick, i jusr give them away free with a warning they spread lol, by the way those zoas on the right are awesome! So are the others, if you ever frag those let me know and I'd be happy to buy them or trade if you're interested!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

I will let you know when I frag for sure. Hopefully without those pest zoas lol.

• Like 1

Yeah those palys will take over. If they are attached to a plug I would just toss the plug with both zoas and cut your losses. The lighter ones are dragon eyes and are easy to get more. Oh and the ones that are umbrella shaped are stressed for some reason. zoas are not as simple as people think. I have a mixed reef and right now the sps look great but some of the zoas are closed up. I don't know why. They are like other pets and misbehave when I'm gone for a week.  My parameters are fine but zoas tend to be prone to all sorts of bacterial infections. I used to dip with revive, fresh water, fishflex, furan 2. Now I just let nature take over and survival of the fittest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonas503 said:

Also if anyone knows why some of mine droop like a umbrella?

It's usually caused by something stinging them or the do not get enough light so they stand up tall and when they try to close again they get inverted

Noooo!!! I'm having paly poisoning flashbacks! I got every one out of my tank. They're the devil. Just remember, they're not just poisonous to you. They'll kill stuff in your tank too. Proceed with caution. If you want to save your zoa rock, I used a chisel to scrape off the rock just below the base of palys with great success. Just be sure not to damage the zoas or palys that are left behind, and don't leave any trace of them or their goo behind. Maybe rinse the rock with tank water after just to make sure. I saved a lot of corals and rocks that way. Eye protection, mask, and gloves. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...