Foran 2 with cupramine

hkhsiao

I am treating yellow tang and kole tang in a 10 gal QT for bacteria infection along with ick. I found on the web it's ok to use furan 2 with cupramine. But my question is after 4 dose of furan 2, I cannot use active carbon to remove furan 2 because of cupramine treatment. Is it ok to leave antibiotics active for additional 14 days after cupramine treatment is done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would do a big water change. Add carbon for a little bit maybe 24 hrs. And then redose copper to appropriate levels using a test kit 

I am worried that doing this will reset the timer for cupramine treatment. How bad is it to leave Furan 2 active for the whole 14 days?

Water change and re-dose the new water with cupramine to keep in range. That's totally ok and actually helpful since everyone likes cleaner water. Just do the math on what your new water needs and drop in cupramine to Match display. 

• Like 1

Water change and re-dose the new water with cupramine to keep in range. That's totally ok and actually helpful since everyone likes cleaner water. Just do the math on what your new water needs and drop in cupramine to Match display.   

I started to doubt if what my yellow tang has is not ick. I had run two full courses of 4-dose Furan 2 and cupramine at 0.5 mg/l for 4 days. The white spot on the tails still persists and grow in size. Size-wise not like salt grain and hangs on the tails for two weeks already. Can it be fungus or other things? Should I remove copper and antibiotics and try fungus treatment?

0a4df096237711f5e6b5623e8b4582b8.jpg

That is definitely not ich. Fungus will look.. well, I know it sounds stupid.. but it looks like fungus. Like the slightly deflated puffy fungus that you find in a cooler you forgot to empty [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So would you suggest that I remove copper and start treating fungus?

Ok, you don't want to see the picture I found, it was a tad horrifying. But looking closer at your pic, it is likely a fungus.. or a bacterial infection.

I would treat them with the melafiz and pimafix combo. They are not antibiotics and are pretty easy on the fish. Pimafix is a tea tree oil extract if I remember correctly. Melafix works great as one of my favorite cichlids has a propensity for getting eye infections. A week of melafix QT and he is ready to go back into the DT.

You can get them at any pet store.

I know the labeling is not the prettiest but hey if you want it you can have it.b14fd653dd4799632deb9b13294e4ee2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the offer. But I already purchased both pimafix and melafix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
That is definitely not ich. Fungus will look.. well, I know it sounds stupid.. but it looks like fungus. Like the slightly deflated puffy fungus that you find in a cooler you forgot to empty [emoji4]

After a weak of pimafix and melafix, the big fluffy ball fell off, but if you notice there is another small dot on the tail below the big fluff (visible in the picture I uploaded), which still persists. That small dot has been there more than two weeks, even before I start the Pima treatment so it's unlikely it's ick. But I wonder why that dot still stays and should I continue pimafix and melafix?