Hitchhiker crab

Talon

Does any one know what kinda crab this is and is he a pest I need to be worried about it know it's a really bad picture my tank is full of micro bubbles from my protein skimer c859afba8a89a866dd6af388df05307f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OK thank u I just got a HOB skimmer and it sends out micro bubbles in to my tank like crazy

I got the little basterd out but I think I killed hem doing so I don't know if these pics help 4e6a8f30674083218faa11eca9f202bd.jpgd3e17137e8968e9187f1684dd5a63739.jpg

46 minutes ago, nate.hobart.1 said:

I don't think I have ever seen a crab like that before... initially I wanted to speculate it was some sort of trapezia crab but that looks more like a bug than a crab to me... ?

Its a crab sure isn't no daddy long legs ;) 

I like the face on the shell and well that means no Bueno to me...........

That looks like a tick. Maybe a Zoa spider. Never seen one before.. good call, probably nothing good

I just got some Zoeas the other day on a piece of rubble rock so that makes sense still new to reefing keeping so iam seeing all this for the first time it's still alive I put it in a container with some tank water tell I could get an id on it don't know if I should put it back in my tank just trying to figure out if it's a pest that will eat my coral [emoji47]

Its a crab sure isn't no daddy long legs [emoji6] 

I like the face on the shell and well that means no Bueno to me...........

Haha. I gotcha. I've had numerous hitchihiker crabs over the years. From my experience- fuzzy crabs tend to be the bad guys while smooth shells tend to be pretty mild mannered citizens.

Honestly, if it's as teeny tiny as it appears in the picture and you have any wild collected SPS I would guess it's some kind of Acro Trapezia Crab. Those crabs are a MASSIVE boon to sps. They really do a lot of good for fragile or finicky sps corals.
  • Like 1

Haha. I gotcha. I've had numerous hitchihiker crabs over the years. From my experience- fuzzy crabs tend to be the bad guys while smooth shells tend to be pretty mild mannered citizens.

Honestly, if it's as teeny tiny as it appears in the picture and you have any wild collected SPS I would guess it's some kind of Acro Trapezia Crab. Those crabs are a MASSIVE boon to sps. They really do a lot of good for fragile or finicky sps corals.

That's great info it is supper tiny mybe an 1/8" but that might even be pushing it it not Fuzzy and the only reason I saw hem at all is cuse my blue lights picked up the white markings and iam addicted I'm always staring at my tank my wife probably thinks I'm nuts

To be honest tho- it looks more like a bug than a crab to me. Did it have a pair of claws? If it is a zoa spider that is very bad news. From what I understand they lay their eggs in living zoa polyps- making them exceedingly difficult to eradicate once established in a tank.

To be honest tho- it looks more like a bug than a crab to me. Did it have a pair of claws? If it is a zoa spider that is very bad news. From what I understand they lay their eggs in living zoa polyps- making them exceedingly difficult to eradicate once established in a tank.

Great iam going to have to look tomorrow I think I saw claws but I have to be shere now mybe I will take hem in to premium aquarium tomorrow and ask that where I got the Zoeas now iam paranoid I have had enough issues with the tank and don't need a nother thank u for all the info I don't have anyone I know of close that's in Monmouth Or so this forum has kinda been my life line so to speak

Thank u guys so much for looking that pic is really close but I don't think it's quite it I did go to premium aquarium and asked the guys that had never seen one and could not find any thang close the picture above is really close though needless to say he did not go back in my tank I had to many what ifs in my head and I did find hem crawling on my green toadstool anyway just wanted to give everyone an up date thank u for all your help

• Like 1