Collecting amphipods

EMeyer

Amphipods -- my cuttlefish love them. And while theyre both cheaper and easier to maintain than mysis, I also know there is a limitless supply of them only an hour away at the coast.

I've read on other boards about people collecting amphipods for aquarium food. It sounds like an experiment worth trying. Funny thing is, despite having seen thousands of these things on other trips when I'm not looking for them, I wasnt able to find any last weekend when I went to the beach with the family.

So my question for the local reef tank community -- have any of you collected amphipods on the Oregon coast? Any sites you can recommend?

I never have myself but it makes allot of sense.   In freshwater wild caught foods were seen by some as a no-no due to pests and disease.  Not sure of the stance in saltwater.  Either way, I find the question intriguing.  

I think this is Stu's facebook group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/ColdwaterOwners/

If so, he would definitely have good info.

Post back what you learn, no doubt several are interested.

I've collected them down near Beverly beach before and boy do those ones get giant compared to those we grow in our refigum. Problem is I've always collect them in a cup or the like and they are all dead before I'm home several hours later. However like the Clark said I have always been hesitant on importing something undesirable. 

Thanks. Did you find them in piles of macroalgae high on the beach? Or the still-wet macro in tidepools?

I've read recommendations to do a long freshwater rinse before feeding them. I'm skeptical it matters (our tanks are already full of bacterial communities, it seems unlikely adding one more bug from cold waters would make any difference) but seems like a wise precaution just in case.

53 minutes ago, EMeyer said:

Thanks. Did you find them in piles of macroalgae high on the beach? Or the still-wet macro in tidepools?

I've read recommendations to do a long freshwater rinse before feeding them. I'm skeptical it matters (our tanks are already full of bacterial communities, it seems unlikely adding one more bug from cold waters would make any difference) but seems like a wise precaution just in case.

In tide pools. It's actually at Lincoln beach just north of fogarty creek. There is a high cliff with pools that are exposed all of the time. I could try to find it on a map if you'd like. 

Edited by fishmanmike01