Tank Cleanup Questions

cjmdh

I recently purchased a used complete setup that included a 120 gallon tank with dual Megaflow overflows.  The back glass and overflows are really encrusted with coralline algae (see picture).  

My questions are:

1. How do you get the coralline off of the plastic overflows without tearing them up?

2. Do I really need to get it ALL off?

3. How do you get all the junk out of the space between the inner and main overflow sections? (see picture)

I can buy a case of vinegar and let it soak for a while I guess.  

Any other suggestions?

Mark

post-15840-0-42212500-1476071340_thumb.jpg

post-15840-0-89363000-1476071348_thumb.png

Coraline will just die when you put new water, rock, sand etc in. I wouldn't even mess with it much to be honest. As for that tricky spot between the overflow, let the tank soak with vinegar, for a while. I used spiral brush cleaners in my past after a soak and they worked very well. Amazon has them for cheap.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another update. 8 gallons of vinegar topped off with water, two heaters, and two power heads circulating for a week. This is the result. Pretty dang good! I'm glad I went the super clean route. This stuff flaked off in big nasty chunks. I don't know if it would have done the same thing in salt water, but glad I didn't take the chance.

576ad7f163032c728a3f5e55c572f4ef.jpg

5ff984c3b95dcf1f08745b5243c6e3e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cjmdh