Re-plumbing tanks with manifold

CaptJackalope89

I am re-plumbing my tanks and have a new reeflo dart and lots of plumbing parts waiting for me at home. I tried to make a drawing of my plan, its not the best but hopefully it is clear enough for people to understand my goals and give any tips to make it better. This is my first manifold and I am excited to get rid of the 4 submersible pumps I have my sump right now. I also want to use as little tubing in the re-plumb as possible.

My current setup is a 110 display a 40b display and a 30gal fuge that feed off a ~30gal sump. I have planned to feed all tanks, recirculating skimmer, and left one open port for a reactor/chiller/etc...

All valves (ball, gate, check) are true union and I have lots of other unions but wasn't quite sure the best places to put them.

I also have a couple questions:

Do people have a hard time keeping flow rates consistent for items like a reactor or recirculating skimmer?

I was originally going to feed the fuge tank with the overflow from the 40b, but it will be easier to feed it with the pump. Would it be worth it to feed the fuge from the overflow?

Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated!

post-0-0-85443700-1475828778_thumb.jpg

Not to say this won't work but you are going to lose a lot a head pressure down line in this set up. I'm not sure where you have it feeding the returns to your tank based on your drawing. I would put valves in between both sides of return to allow for equalizing flow to to each return, good thing I see is keeping it 1 1/2 inch throughout will definely help.

• Like 1

I am actually setting up a refugium/sump arrangement very similar to yours and am going to be feeding the fugue with one of the two drain lines from my 125 although your solution seems like a good one and makes sense with the two displays. The only caveat being the head pressure issue Brian pointed out - there are a lot of junctions in that setup. As long as you spec the return pump accordingly, however, I don't see why it wouldn't work. One reason I haven't gone this route is the interdependence it creates in the flow rates - if you adjust one, it is going to impact the others due to the change in feed pressure (at least based on my reading of the diagram) so it sort of depends how critical you think that might be.  Probably not enough of an issue to worry about but possibly worth considering. Brian can probably tell me if I'm off base here  :unsure:

Good luck!

• Like 1

I am actually setting up a refugium/sump arrangement very similar to yours and am going to be feeding the fugue with one of the two drain lines from my 125 although your solution seems like a good one and makes sense with the two displays. The only caveat being the head pressure issue Brian pointed out - there are a lot of junctions in that setup. As long as you spec the return pump accordingly, however, I don't see why it wouldn't work. One reason I haven't gone this route is the interdependence it creates in the flow rates - if you adjust one, it is going to impact the others due to the change in feed pressure (at least based on my reading of the diagram) so it sort of depends how critical you think that might be.  Probably not enough of an issue to worry about but possibly worth considering. Brian can probably tell me if I'm off base here  :unsure:

Good luck!

You are 100% on track here, everything downstream gets effected when one of the upstream valves is adjusted. I think the dart will have plenty of pressure to run the system, but not sure if it will enough for what he wants

Im kinda glad to hear about head pressure loss. I was worried that the pump would have to much flow... maybe I will work out a way to feed the fuge with one of the drain lines just in case I need extra flow.

Would it be better to have items that need less and more constant flow at the start of the manifold and have the tank return lines at the end? The valve I will be adjusting the most is the skimmer feed. I could also maybe have the pump feed the middle of the manifold to make a large tee? Or does the order of equipment not really matter.

here is a pic of my stand if it helps at all. The lower/bigger side had has a 110gal tank (overflow drain is bottom center) the higher side has a 40b tank (external overflow box top left of tank w/2 drain lines). Eventually I plan to put one big tank on the stand (I can fit a max footprint of 86x24)

post-0-0-98977600-1475875771_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice!