Gauging interest in a Ricordia grow out competition

Fragged

I would like to see a grow out competition with Ricordia. Reason being is they are dying off in the wild and it would be awesome to keep this beautiful coral alive. Personally I hope to be able to donate back to our natural reefs someday providing people stop doing everything we are doing to kill our reefs.

I would prefer NOT to run it, rather just see it go down and maybe join in. I will however help if needed.

Prizes could be something like gift cards to sponsors purchased with entry fees.

I see a few places that do group buys or bulk orders of Ricordia still. If we can't get all the same one we can just do like a first come first serve type deal for the specimen they grow out. Haven't seen many ugly Ricordia.

Just an idea. We've seen ZOA's, gonipora, and some others.... Let's get done Ric's going on. I would imagine the duration would have to be extended.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by Fragged

I would like to see a grow out competition with Ricordia. Reason being is they are dying off in the wild and it would be awesome to keep this beautiful coral alive. Personally I hope to be able to donate back to our natural reefs someday providing people stop doing everything we are doing to kill our reefs.

I would prefer NOT to run it, rather just see it go down and maybe join in. I will however help if needed.

Prizes could be something like gift cards to sponsors purchased with entry fees.

I see a few places that do group buys or bulk orders of Ricordia still. If we can't get all the same one we can just do like a first come first serve type deal for the specimen they grow out. Haven't seen many ugly Ricordia.

Just an idea. We've seen ZOA's, gonipora, and some others.... Let's get done Ric's going on. I would imagine the duration would have to be extended.

Just keep in mind if your not personally hosting it and a paid member hosts it with Prizes they will not let you participate unless you pay for membership. However if you find a hookup on a bulk purchase and there is no prizes offered or you are putting up the prizes, then obviously anyone can join in ;) I think if you can find a good bulk deal you could persuade enough people to join in a simple Growout

Just keep in mind if your not personally hosting it and a paid member hosts it with Prizes they will not let you participate unless you pay for membership. However if you find a hookup on a bulk purchase and there is no prizes offered or you are putting up the prizes, then obviously anyone can join in ;) I think if you can find a good bulk deal you could persuade enough people to join in a simple Growout

Wouldn't be my first rodeo here. I do believe host gets to pick rules. These grow outs started without a membership requirement. But again, I don't want to host it..... At all. Been there done that. Getting sponsors involved, getting prizes donated, getting large colony, fragging colony, controlling polyp count to ensure everyone starts even, monitoring competition, distributing prizes.....

Edited by Fragged

Ricordias would be tough..... but, i can see it working!

The members only thing is an option.... since Bret and I donated our zoas for the growout.... we required membership.

GL!

Oh I get it. I think the last one I did was for members only. But a lot of non members expressed concerns over it being a cash grab for the club.

Either way I don't want to host it. I will help but I'm not doing that again here. It's fun and it's great to get the club involved, but it's a lot of work, lot of phone calls (for me anyway, calling sponsors for donations, getting custom plugs made, etc), and not a lot of perks. I also think prizes should consist of only gift cards so sponsors can get some income.

If someone wants to host it I found a couple of places that have them for $10 a piece on bulk orders.

Edited by Fragged

My last and only grow out was very disappointing. I ended up dropping it altogether. Just adding my .02 here. If you want a successful grow out, allow only paid members and a buy in fee. I will also never do another grow out.

I ran 2 or 3 here before feeling the same way. I don't think it is understood how much work goes into running one of these.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Again, I'm not hosting this, so if someone is willing to do so they can pick the rules. I asked the club on my last round to take over the grow outs to standardize rules and stuff like that but it didn't happen so the perk there is whoever does host it can pick whatever rules they want.