Sharing some Powder Blue success!!!

Reef madness

So for those of you that know me personally, I have tried many many times to keep a powder blue tang in my reef tank with various degrees of success, with my best attempt at 3 months. I have told people that they are the unicorns of the reef world and to not waste your time and money. I have tried 11 in the 22 years I've been in this hobby and FINALLY, success!!!!!! (I hope I'm not jinxing myself.)

These fish are notorious for arriving at fish stores thin and in many cases with no appetites. Coupled with their propensity to be "ich magnets", the deck is stacked against them right out of the bag. Here are a few things I can attribute to my success with my powder blue:

1) I happen to be in the fish store at delivery and noticed two, rather plump powders floating in bags for acclimation. I thought rather than stressing it further by acclimating to his tank and my tank, Ill grab it before it goes in.

2) I never quarantine. My personal opinion is this is even more stress for a fish.

3) Nori. I overfeed my tank and the first meal of the day consists of a half sheet of nori that I piece up and let free flow in the water column, letting food flow to him.

4) I do use UV. Whether this is a key component or not, it hasn't hurt.

5) mix up the meaty food. I rotate the food for my fish, plankton, mysis, brine shrimp and formula 2 is their main source.

6) Ich is inevitable. Your powder will show ich from time to time, but if he continues to eat heavily, it'll fight it off.

7) I have a cleaner wrasse that picks at any spots but also loves brine shrimp. I've had him for about 6 months which is like an insurance policy that seems to work.

8) Luck!!!!! Many of these things I've mentioned have been tried over and over to various degrees of success. Much of your success simply depends on picking the right fish.

As of late, Ive had a bit of luck on my side as I've also been successful at keeping a notoriously difficult green goniopora alive and thriving for months as well.

Anyway, hope this helps....

• Like 2

Impressive you were able to do it without QT. they are definitely one oft the he harder dish to keep. But once established they do well. A suggestion I might offer though is to treat (qt) any new fish from this point on as they are so susceptible to anything and everything that can go wrong (Murphy's law). I agree this and the Achilles have always been my unicorns in this hobby but I am going to go at it differently when new tank is finished

Post some pics of this beauty!! And again congrats