Dart at 7' head?

ringwurm

WOW, that is a LOT of flow through your sump. Are you sure you really want that much? It will be really hard to control the micro bubble with that much going through there.

As for the Dart I'm not sure but if it is a pressure rated pump you should be fine.

Guest Ahbrit

i run about 1500gph through my sumps on my 300

The main reason is for the chiller that requires 1000gph. i T off and run 1000 to the chiller then a 1" seaswirl and the other 500 is just straight into another seaswirl.

One thing i noticed with increasing the flow though is the filter sock goes into panic mode after about 1 day when it starts to get clogged. It will start overflowing over the top of the sock as it can't filter through fast enough. Daily changes is too much of an anoyance.

I would recommend 1000 - 1500 per hour. This is still at least 4 x turnover in your tank.

Worry about the flow in your tank utililizing closed loop systems.

Guest Ahbrit

And to answer the statement about bubbles due to high sump flow.......This can be controlled with a bit of thought/engineering before you setup the tank.

I use 2 very large sumps with 3" connecting bulkheads. This reduces the speed of the water by half compared to using 2" bulkheads (think about it). Then my 2nd sump is full of live rock which creates a natural barrier to give the bubbles time to go. by the time it hits the return pump, i'm bubble free. (I have tested this upto 2000gph with great results). I couldn't go any higher because the return seaswirls can only support 2000gph

I run a dart as my return on my 340 gallon tank with no worries. I just added a gen-x6000 to run a chiller and thats also going through the sump. I have no issues with micro bubbles or noise.

My dart is pushing at least 6 ft of head pressure.

I run that in my 155 and its fine, for your tank I personally would step up to a Barracuda but I like lots of flow. Keep in mind I run a smaller pump for the sump and run the Sequence Closed loop. Seems to run better that way. As for the 7 feet head pressure that pump will be more than fine.

If your splitting to frag tank sounds fine, I assume this is not going through refugium if you have one, and you have adequate baffles for limiting bubbles.

Just stating what I don't see...

If you do have a bubble problem there is ways to remedy that quite easily in most cases. I have 3 baffle sections and there is no bubbles after the second set but I tend to overkill. Single Baffle wall at Overflow entry PVC then standard baffle design to refugium then standard baffle to sump area. aprox 15" wide at 1300 gph and the flow is nice and slow and quiet.

The dart will not be used as a main source of tank flow but the returns will be attached to two sea swirls. I was going to go with a closed loop or two but I've decided to get a tunze wavebox and a few tunze streams.

Thanks for all the input. :)