Let's talk QT tanks

The ReefBox

So I be never been one to use qt tank...and before you jump my ship....I know the good bad and the ugly about using or not using. So with that said I am venturing down the road of setting up a QT tank. I am curious what others are doing, size, filtration, lighting etc.

I would love to see pics and hear about your set ups. Might help fuel the fire.

And for what it's worth.....as of late I have had a very hard time keeping any new fish....especially Tangs.

When in heavy acquisition mode, yes.  Now it is sitting idle.

I forgot to mention, we keep a fresh sponge filter in the sump of the established system.  

When the qt comes back online, this sponge is used.  It is hooked up to the powerhead for insta-cycle in the QT.

A new sponge filter is placed in the sump for the next time.

My dream is to have the auto water changes feed into the QT, then the drain.  Right now they go straight to the drain.  How nice would that be to have the QT automatically getting WCs?

When in heavy acquisition mode, yes.  Now it is sitting idle.

I forgot to mention, we keep a fresh sponge filter in the sump of the established system.  

When the qt comes back online, this sponge is used.  It is hooked up to the powerhead for insta-cycle in the QT.

A new sponge filter is placed in the sump for the next time.

My dream is to have the auto water changes feed into the QT, then the drain.  Right now they go straight to the drain.  How nice would that be to have the QT automatically getting WCs?

I'm struggling with any new fish lately either go in display and disappear or don't eat. Im just wondering what's going on

I hate it when that happens.  Sometimes if they are breathing heavy and look like they have flukes prazi in the QT can be a real life saver.  Saved many fish using that stuff.

I also have ran prazi in the qt for when I messed up, it worked ok for me but would not recommend it.

I run 80-82 degrees in my qt.

I've tried hypo. Getting to and from 1.016 and 1.025 salinity takes 7-10 days. Won't do it again.

I do use paraguard. I won't do the bathe of paraguard again. But 5ml to 10 gallons for 7 days is easy enough.

I have sharpie marks for top off level and waterchange level.

I also keep ac50 foam in my sump for emergencies and set up. I use waterchange water to set it up. During treatment (furan-2) I used chemipure blue and filter floss from my Nano to reestablish bacteria

My tank.is looking terrible right now after 2 months running.

I'll bleach and store for next time

Mine is for sale in the classifieds. 40B with 29 sump. Just needs light and return pump. I always kept mine running. QT for both fish and corals. I used a filter sock and kept the filtration pretty simple. Did the hypo a few times but that obviously doesn't work with corals or inverts in. I found it was much easier to just keep running like a second tank and stock the main from it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk