Apex and your wireless router

fishboys

Just set mine up last week. The Apex itself does not have wireless. You'll need to place a wireless extender near the controller. Your main wireless will communicate to the extender. Then run an Ethernet cable from the extended to the controller. The Apex instructions describe the setup process, though they're not super clear. Feel free to shoot me a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use these TP-Link mini-routers.  

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Repeater-150Mbps/dp/B007PTCFFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459661584&sr=8-1&keywords=TP-LINK-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Repeater-150Mbps

Follow the instructions on setting it up as a client and there you go.  I have one on my security system and it works great.  Also one running on my WIP DIY aquarium controller.

Edited by cjmdh
  • Like 1

I'm using the Netgear WNCE2001. It works great and was simple to setup as it has WPS and my router also has WPS. I got the Netgear on ebay for $20 including shipping.  My router is the Camcast supplied Arris TG862G/CT (DOCSIS 3.0, 802.11AC and VOIP). Next job is to try and figure out a compatible webcam that integrates with Apex Fusion.

Edited by timfountain
  • Like 1

Man, I wish Apex would make a wireless bridge. There are plenty of good options, but nothing like spending $200 on an APEX module you don't need.

I use the Netgear bridges. They work OK. One is rock solid but I have another that loses connection like 15 times a day. It always pops back on after a few seconds, but there is an absolute guarantee it won't be connected when I want to turn pumps on/off for a water change or something. But always comes back.

I tried the electric socket ones and they worked great. My house is just on too many circuits - so the tank and router can't be connected that way.

Anyway - Netgear is the way to go. Everyone uses 'em. Order off Amazon and you can get a refurbed one pretty cheap.

What type of bandwidth does an Apex require?

I know nothing about the Apex, but I do know that any router can be used in bridged mode. Most people that have had internet for a few years, probably have a router lying around. Probably would save you a little bit of money.

All routers can be extenders, but not all extenders can be routers. :P

Very little. The Netgear WNCE2001 is an N router so capable of ~300Mb/s but so far I have seen it using on busty packets for <1% channel occupancy (using wireshark). so it is very low in terms of required b/w.

Yeah. I couldn't imagine that it would take a lot of data, unless you were streaming high quality video of your tank.

The problem with some of the old routers is their coverage might not reach the newer routers coverage. Otherwise, sounds like they are a possibility as an extender. Just need to mess with settings or install DD-WRT firmware. Just another option.

• 1 month later...

So an update. I believe one of the main points of the Apex is bullet proof reliability and the WNCE2001 was just not up to the job. It only dropped out a couple of times but when it did, I had to completely reset it and associate it with the main router through WPS. It just refused to reconnect without a complete factory reset. Very frustrating.. So I spent 2 hours on Saturday dropping Cat 6 from the main 24 port Gbe switch in the networking cupbord to a point behind the aquarium. I also added a secondary WIFI 802.11AC extender to give me better WIFI coverage to other wireless devices on the backside of the house and hardwired the Apex to a Netgear 5 port GbE switch. So far so good. 

I've never had WIFI that was 100% consistent, and this is just another datapoint. You can beat hardwired connections.

Now if I can just fiigure out how to get my webcam integrated in the my Apex Fusion page then I would be really happy. I have a lot of experience with computers and networking and getting the webcam integrated is the hardest thing I have ever attempted. It is pretty darn complex.

Yeah Consumer branded wireless routers are crap in general, Most Linksys & Netgear models you buy from your local retailer will need to be reset occasionally might want to consider something like this -> http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462492325&sr=8-2&keywords=ethernet+powerline+adapter

While my various wireless devices refuse to connect occasionally requiring a quick reset, my Apex has no issues.