Palythoa trim

PDX_Reefer

I have a palythoa that's growing rapidly and is now blocking light to a small zoa colony that's growing on the same base. Not the greatest picture, but you can see it in the upper left. I'd like to trim back the Paly. Can I just go in with a razor and cut out the encroaching polyps? Any suggestions for minimizing impact to the rest of the Paly? Thanks in advance!

1b40a80f6cb8373a4585496d6a2a3e18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this happen in my zoa tank. I took a razor blade and carefully "cut out" the polyps I didn't want in the colony. I've had almost all the cuts survive too :) It's not a fool proof way of separating the zoas/palys though. Part of the paly mat will still be there, so it may grow back. That's what keeps happening to me.

Good luck!

Thanks, Paratore. Very helpful.

Interesting comment, Chewie. I didn't know they could be toxic until I saw your comment and googled it. Explains what happened this weekend. The rock with the Paly wasn't fitting into the new aquascaping. I was handling it a lot trying to figure out where to put it. After an hour or so, I developed a significant rash with a few dime sized welts on my forearm. Time for some PPE. Thanks for the heads up.

If you can remove the rock to do this, i would suggest it.  Wear gloves.... goggles...  all the safety stuff.   Fill a container with some tank water and iodine(Lugols).  Then do all of the cutting/removal under the water in that separate container.  Doing it this way will minimize the toxin release into your tank and reduce risk of skin exposure to toxins.

• Like 6