Coral Farmers Market...yay or nay?

reefgeek84

Not sure if anyone has talked with Tyree...but can we expect another one next year?

I would be curious to see if we would be able to...

I will email Tyree in a few days after they have had a chance to look at all the info.. Hopefully they will come back. I'll post response when I get one.

The one problem they are hopeing to find an answer to is the high cost of shipping the frags up here from CA., (AWExotics told me he spent $270 to ship his corals up here for the CFM). They mentioned looking into driving them all up for the vendors in one van in a 15 hour rush. That is how long Art said it took him to drive up, not counting the time they pulled over and slept.

I guess only time will tell ..........I hope so but we will see.

I will email Tyree in a few days after they have had a chance to look at all the info.. Hopefully they will come back. I'll post response when I get one.

The one problem they are hopeing to find an answer to is the high cost of shipping the frags up here from CA., (AWExotics told me he spent $270 to ship his corals up here for the CFM). They mentioned looking into driving them all up for the vendors in one van in a 15 hour rush. That is how long Art said it took him to drive up, not counting the time they pulled over and slept.

I guess only time will tell ..........I hope so but we will see.

270$$ did he use fed ex? I would think they would just send there stuff up via aircargo. 100pounds is about $65.00 bucks to ship it sameday to nextday from LAX to PDX, and they would of been right next to the airport to pick them up.

270$$ did he use fed ex? I would think they would just send there stuff up via aircargo. 100pounds is about $65.00 bucks to ship it sameday to nextday from LAX to PDX' date=' and they would of been right next to the airport to pick them up.[/quote']

Yep, his exact words were "Good 'ole FedEx.... even the box got dented."

Here is Steves response..........

Michael,

Thanks for all your support for the 2007 NW-CFM. We have been real busy wrapping

the event up and gearing up for Reef-A-Palooza which occurs next saturday. The

CFM and Reeffarmers will have booths there. The 2007 NW-CFM event just about broke

even. Probably about $200 in the hole. The CFM was expecting that and this event

turned into a mini-market sized event for us as we were testing a new venue. We

were primarily concerned with logistics of getting live corals to the consumer and

then bringing the unsold corals back alive. All that worked well. Three of the vendors

that sold corals did good. They definitly made a profit. That has to happen for

them to want to return next year. The local vendor that showed up late probably

broke even at best. So we know we have three coral selling vendors that will return

next year. The other issue was if my partner Art Petit and his brother could handle

the 18 hour drive up and back down. Art says the drive is okay and he has no problems

doing that again. So as of right now we plan on coming back next year. With your

support we are pretty much guranteed not to lose a lot of money and basically break

even. Hopefully we can improve on getting the word out next year and increase the

ticket sales and vendor involvement. I think this years NW-CFM established a good

foundation that we can build on. Now the Mid-Columbia group wants us to do our event

along with there annual event, but distributing corals in that hot desert area at that

time of year makes getting live cultured corals into the consumers reefs much more

difficult. Someone else highly suggested Seattle next year, but I think having the

event in Portland where there is no state sales tax really helps the vendors and

attendees. So as of now we are definitly coming back next year. We are still working

out which month would be best. Portland seems to be the best location as of right now.

The event will have too occur on a Saturday. Available months are August and September.

Steve Tyree

NW-CFM

• 3 weeks later...