Help please

afautheree

Hi! Greetings from the north land! Today I noticed an unwanted growth in our classroom tank. It appears black in color and I first thought it might be some sort of sponge. However whee I touched it it is filamentous like some sort of bad algae. Either way I don't think it is something I want to proliferate in the tank. It looks like it already had a foothold so any recommendations for eradication will be appreciated!

290e71dc23d004801abee855e53cae38.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Manually pick off as much as you can either with finger or some tweezers or something. Raising your mag levels will help in the fight of a lot of different algae. The best for raising mag would be to use Kent Tech M, i don't know what maybe someone else can chime in, but the Tech M has something special in it. Reguardlless what kind it is, if i ever get a big outbreak of algae ( usually with a tank cycling ) i like too also add in a Sea Hare. 

Thanks Mr Brett. I've been using the BRS 2 part Mg. I'll get some Tech M and give it a try. It's not too widespread yet but I'd rather not let it get to the sea hare stage of I can avoid it. I appreciate your insight.

No Idea what it is but I would follow Brets advice :)

I also need those bottom left zoas, they look awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will do that and I'd love to bring you some of those next time I head down your way. They came from Mr. Brett I believe when I was at the meeting in Oct.Everyone was to gracious to help us get our tank growing! So if you decide you don't want to wait on me you can always go directly to the source! I'll PM you when I'm coming down again.

I will do that and I'd love to bring you some of those next time I head down your way. They came from Mr. Brett I believe when I was at the meeting in Oct.Everyone was to gracious to help us get our tank growing! So if you decide you don't want to wait on me you can always go directly to the source! I'll PM you when I'm coming down again.

That would be awesome, I would be happy to swap frags to get new stuff in your tank if you would like :) otherwise i have cash too:)

That would be awesome, I would be happy to swap frags to get new stuff in your tank if you would like :) otherwise i have cash too:)

No worries....cash not accepted!!!! LOL After all the generosity and help this group has been I'm just glad to have something to share! I'll always take something new for the tank however! ;0)

• Like 1

hard to tell from the pic.... likely Fruit Loops... if that is indeed yellow in the middle.... if its green... then Emeralds on Fire.... Looking good!! just get that stuff picked off!!

What if they're yellowish green? I went acme looked this morning to determine which one they are and I couldn't tell tell for sure. ...whatever they are in more than happy to share! I'll post a pic of the full colony....maybe that week help.

Edited by afautheree