Drilling multiple aquariums

milesmiles902

Hello everyone!

I have some aquariums that I want to drill for overflows and link together. I have never drilled an aquarium and I know that there is a chance of the glass cracking. So, I am looking for a reef calculator for the thickness of glass needed for the size overflow hole. I imagine there are specific rules for the thickness of glass that can be drilled and what the size hole should be. Just can't find it.

With calipers, glass thickness is:

• 0.225 inches = ~1/4 inch
  • 0.145 inches = ~1/7 inch

I have checked for tempering of the glass with a polarizing filter, and very few are tempered.

Any other tips people have? I want to figure this out before I order a circular bit for drilling.

You can cut any size whole in any thickness of glass really with the right tools. I don't think there is much of a correlation. Sharp/new bit. I have drilled 1/8 inch to 3 inch holes in glass that is 1/8 inch thick to glass that is 1 inch thick. Sharp/new bit is best. I like high speed. Thinner the glass the lighter the pressure. Very light pressure in the beginning of the cut and end. I like a foam or wood template the size of the bit to use as a guide to prevent walking of the bit. I use a spray bottle of water for cooling

Yeah just base your hole size on the flow rate desired. New bits cut a lot faster than worn ones. Also, the quality of the bits vary but I found that a cheap bit is good for about 4 holes before it's taking forever to cut.

My advice is to do it outside and leave the hose running on it while cutting for cooling. If you can make a drill guide or buy one it's nice for the first timer. Good luck!

I agree with Blue, drill outside with a water hose dribbling over the bit to keep it cool. Make a template to start your hole. After about 30 secs. you can remove the template.

Easy peazy actually, for the first timer. I just finished making 2 frag tanks, 48"x24"x12", with 1/4" mirrored glass my father-in-law had in the garage.

You can do it, just be safe!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk