Refugium question

SALTY

So I am starting a new tank and I am getting ready to have the sump built and need some help to figure out how big the refugium part should be. The tank is a 30x30x18 (70 gallons) and the sump will be 27" long by 18" wide by 15" high. besides haveing cheato in it what else should I put in the refugium ( sand or mud, rock)

Thanks everyone

This is totally just my opinion and I'm sure other will have different opinions, but on my next build I will have my skimmer, some macro algae, and a couple pieces of rock in the Sump to hold mangroves. Other than that I'll have nothing else. I've used the miracle mud in the past and it just seems to get gross. I think with a skimmer, chaeto, and a few pieces of rock and proper water changes the tank will be stable. I think a lot of us over think the Sump.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Yeah I keep it basic with Skimmer, LR, and Macros. Sand beds need maintenance and mud just seemed more gross than beneficial. If you keep it simple you can also blow and vacuum out the bottom a lot easier to keep it clean.

I have 3 different macros in my sump, I think the diversity is better but some just do cheato. You are welcome to trimmings when the time comes to fire yours up if you want.