New Rock

kriswaters

After some time, maybe 2-3 months, I finally got some of my DIY rock in the tank. I finally put it in the tank of the toilet, and the running water cured it of it's toxic nature. Once satisfied that the PH wasn't to high (it ran in the 10+ range before the toilet tank), I put it in a bucket of RO/DI water and let it soak another two days. The PH remained constant, so I put it into the sump. I checked the paramaters every 4 hours, mainly the PH. I did notice a slight drop in PH, so I did a 10% change (7 gallons). My PH has since then stabilized, and now I have two new rocks in my tank!

Two more just went into the toilet tank again...my improved aquascape is on it's way!

Kris (clap)

I used "Quick-crete". I didn't measure exacts, but it was at least one to one on the cement and the salt. I took a long time for the salt to leach out...

I also used some left over portland cement and sand mix....from my shower install. I mixed it one to one as well. It is still soaking. All in all...about 65 lbs of "base rock" to add to the 60 lbs of "live rock"

It was pretty easy...used dirt molds so I didn't get flat bottoms!! (LOL)

Kris

Yah i know all sorts of recipes, but quikrete quikwall seems to be one of the best cements for making rock. Quicker curing time, 10-15 min set time, suitable for potable water, and best of all cheap :D Its an off white color too which makes it appealing to me.

Hey all...

I picked up the Quick-rete at my local hardware store. Cost about $6 for 40lbs. I picked up a bag of "water softener salt" (MORTONS) and mixed it one to one. It did set up alot faster then with plain cement.

The cure time will probably be the same no matter what...that stuff is HIGH in ALK. PH ran above the charts for 2 months. I will post some pics when I get more rock in and fix my aquascape. Right now things are just hodge podge.

Kris

OH---the color came out grey...after a week in the tank, it is already changing color. Did have a small algae bloom....perhaps some extended soaking in RO/DI water or even used salt water (from a water change) could help eliminate that.

As for the type...it was just general use Quick-rete.

Kris

It may show my ignorance, but does it matter what color the rock is once it is covered in coraline algae or corals?

If all it will be used for is base rock, or to have stuff grow on it, I do not care what color it is. When I look at a tank, I look more at the animals, and less at the rock.

dsoz

My DIY rock is going to be specific structures that won't necessarily be covered in corals in some areas. The white just looks better IMO, i've made several rocks with the grey cement and just don't like the way they look. Just personal preference is all.

No problem. I just wanted to know how hard I should look for white cement when I get around to making some more rock for when I upgrade my tank.

I also like the "white rock" look on the top, but grey would be fine for rock on the bottom.

Another question, does the sand that is used to make the mold cover up the cement mix enough to just use white sand? Do you normally use coarse or fine sand for the mold? Would crushed coral be a suitable material to use mixed in with the sand for the mold?

dsoz

It doesn't cover it up enough, you still see thru to the cement. I am using white industrial quartz sand, typically used for sandblasting. I also plan to use some rock rubble and i bought a 50lbs back of crushed oyster shells to incorporate. Crushed coral would be fine if you have it on hand, its kind of expensive to buy a bag just for this purpose.

Crushed coral would be fine if you have it on hand' date=' its kind of expensive to buy a bag just for this purpose.[/quote']

I have a bunch of it that was given to me by J&Jr out of the 55g that he rescued. It was full of life that I used to seed my sand. Now it is "living" in my sump. Most of the life has crawled out of it, but there are still a lot of amphipods still crawling around in it. I am sure I could wash them out. If you want some, I can bring a few pounds of it to the BBQ to exchange for the mesh that you are bringing me.

dsoz :)

There are several ways to make molds...Sand would be good if it were damp. Then less would stick to the rock. This still presents with a "smooth" surface...unlike "real rock" we are used to. I used a variety of things...I put piles of rock salt on a sheet of acrylic then plopped the cement on top of that...it created "domes" on the under sides instead of "flat" surfaces. I did make a few flat bottom rocks for overhang structure. I also added more cement to semi-set rocks to "build" them up a bit and give a little better look. The thing about using crushed substate...it will stick to your rock.

I will take a few pics and post of my two pieces that are in the tank.

Get back to you soon.

Kris