Boba Fett's 5.5g wonderland

modularduck

So i figured i should post another thread about my G.Smithii mantis tank. I got him a little over a month ago at UPSCALES. (thanks guys!) It took me awhile to get a really good ID of him and the help of several people on NR. He is very active and eats like a pig. i feed him hermits, and krill, and the occational bit of silversides. anyway enough babbling....make with the pics right.

the tank pre mantis

DSCF0829.jpg

rock, water, and sand

DSCF0831.jpg

FTS

DSCF1004.jpg

and Boba Fett

mantiscloseup.jpg

i love your mantis shrimp. they are so neat.

is that a glass tank though? i've always heard that mantis shrimp can break glass aquariums and that you should keep them in acrylic tanks?

If they are a smasher, then it might be a good idea to keep them in acrylic but if they are a spearer, then they should not be able to bust the glass...I can not tell from the pic what kind it is...

it is a G.Smithii it is a small smasher. and while most larger smashers should be in acrylic G.Smithii does not have the power to break glass. here is a link that has much info on the different types. of mantis.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/index.html#directory

brandy yeah i love sun corals, even the all black ones, the down side is that you have to feed every head and if you have a large one that takes time also i moved this from mt other tank because everytime i fed it the cleaner and peppermint would steal its food. but they are beautiful

I personally have never seen one but i don't doubt that it happens, given the size and power that some can attain. here is a new FTS as of today with new aquascaping and added corals from the 24 so i could make more room for new stuff pending my eventual set up of a prop tank...

DSCF1030.jpg