what is this?

uhuru

I set up my new tank and screwed up by putting in an old bag of carbon that had been sitting out for a couple of days. Looks like I have a cyano outbreak now and some type of white milky substance. What is this white stuff? Bacteria die off?

This is what the skimmer is pulling out:

DSCN2132.jpg

It would have to be sand from the rocks then because I don't have any sand in the tank. But I'm sure it's some type of bacteria or algae that actually grows in the carbon. Weird huh? The reason I think so is because I replaced the carbon with a brand new bag. The problem got even worse. I took out the carbon altogether and the water started clearing up within an hour! The problem had originated from an old bag of carbon. Maybe it was growing some type of bacteria that specifically liked that medium? Oh well I'm just glad I can actually see inside my tank now. Everything is still alive but the few corals I kept are browned out and the clam is pissed.

How are you Ca' date=' Mg and alkalinity levels? Is it possible you are precipitating a calcium or magnesium salt?[/quote']

The tank had 85-90% freshly mixed saltwater (no additives) so I don't think that was the case.

I'm sorry to hear about your corals!

The frags I picked up this weekend are doing fine.

If you wanted a few back...

Good to know the corals are doing good. Thank for offering some back - but I'm hoping the ones I have will color up in time.

How long did you age the saltwater?

At least overnight, though some of it longer. The water is almost crystal clear now since removing the carbon. So in a matter of a few hours it went from milky, opaque white to totally clear. It has left a film on everything though. When I scrape it off, it definitely looks like something organic. It is not powdery but stringy. I will take a picture of the skimmer cup tomorrow when I clean it, maybe someone can figure it out from that!