Aiptasia Pests

NanoDrummer09

Help please! so I've read about these guys and as of right now I have about 10-15 I read about the syringe with lemon juice and taking rock out but wanted to see if there are any fish or another proven successful technique that I could use. Thanks for any feed back!

Nic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random thoughts...

For that few you could just pick up some aptasia-x.  

Kill the flow and let em have it.  How many gallons is the tank?  You might have to do it in stages to prevent adding too much kalk at once (aptasia x is kalk paste plus another ingredient I hear)

The popular natural alternative are peppermint shrimp, the true peppermints.

Aptasia-x will give instant results though.

There are DIY kalk paste aptasia x recipes too.

Lemon juice is another option, it has the opposite effect of kalk (acidic), so you do have to watch how much is used as well.

Good luck. 

The rule with Aptasia is SOS (Shoot on Sight).  Keep that up and they can stay fairly under control.

Me personally?  Daughter gets 50 cents per aptasia kill with aptasia x and I stock some peppermints so we don't go broke paying her bounty.

• Like 2

+1 on the peppermint shrimp

When I was done cycling my nano I discovered an orgy of aptasia behind my rocks (30+), they were still pretty small. I was strolling through OIAB and noticed he was putting some frags in the peppermint shrimp tank and he told me he was training them to eat aptasia, so I purchased 2 of them and sure enough all the aptasia is gone and has yet to return. 

Edited by Salty Pickle
  • Like 2

+1 on the peppermint shrimp

When I was done cycling my nano I discovered an orgy of aptasia behind my rocks (30+), they were still pretty small. I was strolling through OIAB and noticed he was putting some frags in the peppermint shrimp tank and he told me he was training them to eat aptasia, so I purchased 2 of them and sure enough all the aptasia is gone and has yet to return. 

That is awesome!

This topic is by far one of the most discussed on these boards, We really need to sticky it. There is 1 type of Peppermint shrimp who eats Aptasia without question that is the L. Wurdemanni breed, you don't train them to eat it, they already know instinctively what food is. It's matching a predator and its prey as they are both from the same geographical location. I have posted a photo on here of the different breeds and how to identify them, Garrot at TPA knows the difference and stocks that particular breed for that reason.