Guaging interest in UofO Zebrafish facility tour

impur

I have a buddy who is doing his thesis at UO on the adaptation of mosquitos to global warming and how they evolve in today's world. Since he works in the labs, he knows a lot of the zebrafish people. We were chatting about it last night and we might be able to get a tour of the facitity. I wanted to see if people would be interested in doing this before i pursue it further. But i would really like to see the facility since it is world renown.

An exerpt from Pres. Frohnmayer speech in 03

Zebrafish, Danio rerio, are freshwater fish that were originally found in slow streams and rice paddies and in the Ganges River in East India and Burma. They were brought to the University of Oregon by George Streisinger.

George Streisinger is rightly considered by his peers to be the founding giant of zebrafish research. At the end of his life, his evolving research focused on how genetic mutations affect nervous system development in lower vertebrates.

Dr. Streisinger's research made major and lasting contributions in deciphering the genetic code, understanding the nature of frameshift mutations and the structure of the T4 phage genome.

He dreamed of using the power of the same molecular principles to study the genetics and development of a vertebrate. As a fish hobbyist who knew how easy it was to raise and maintain zebrafish, he began using it as a model system. The fish was small enough to keep the large numbers required for genetic studies and large enough to do classical embryological manipulations such as transplantations. It also was especially suited to this work because the zebrafish female carries its embryo outside its body and the embryo is transparent, therefore allowing scientists to observe the development of life in a fertilized egg from the very first cell division. Its genome is humblingly similar to [language filter] sapiens. It is an extraordinarily powerful investigative tool and it was brilliant of Streisinger to have selected it as his model organism.

And, more than fifteen years before Dolly the Scottish sheep achieved fame, zebrafish had been cloned here at this University - the first vertebrates to be cloned in the history of science. This was a daring step and Streisinger was keenly aware of the skepticism of some of his colleagues. He had waited ten years to publish his very first zebrafish paper in the eminent journal, Nature. It took courage, confidence and commitment to carry forward with his work.

Following Dr. Streisinger's untimely death in 1984 from a cardiac arrest while preparing for his scuba diving certification, his lab members strove to keep his research progressing. In a letter written one week later, one of his postdocs, David Jonah Grunwald, describes the loss to the lab. "Our lab and the Institute were very devoted to George. He extended an enormous amount of enthusiasm and support for our work and for our personal lives. George had very broad interests that spanned beyond the borders of his expertise. Virtually all members of the Institute (of Molecular Biology) discussed, sporadically or often, their scientific results with him. His range of interests, his willingness to reflect on the activities of others, and his generous spirit combined to make him a central force in guiding and maintaining the communal atmosphere of the Institute."

Fortunately for the future of zebrafish research, Dr. Charles Kimmel, a professor in the Institute of Neuroscience, who had been encouraged by Dr. Streisinger to work with zebrafish, stepped in to "adopt" the lab and to continue the work in developmental genetics.

George Streisinger's research legacy is still being carried on by his colleagues at the University of Oregon. These include the labs of Drs. Charles Kimmel, Monte Westerfield, Judith Eisen, and John Postlethwait.

Today, the Zebrafish International Resource Center main facility measures 10,000 square feet. There are four additional research laboratories and a significant data base facility for zebrafish-related research.

Professor Streisinger's proven use of the zebrafish in research has spread to 350 developmental and genetics labs in more than 30 countries. At least one has produced a Nobel Prize winner. Many of the mutant strains produced in the Streisinger Lab are still alive and well in labs throughout the world and are being used to help provide answers to human and animal health issues, therapies for genetic diseases, mechanisms for understanding human life processes at their core - and providing a well-deserved legacy for a true pioneer.

During the course of his scientific career, Dr. Streisinger was given several prestigious awards. He was a Guggenheim Fellow in 1972. In 1975, after being at the University of Oregon for 15 years, he was selected as a member of the National Academy of Sciences, making him only the second Oregonian to receive this distinction.

And now, as many of you may have read in the full-page article in the Oregonian science section on Wednesday, we have just received grants totaling $15 million from the National Institutes of Health to expand the Zebrafish International Resource Center -- $8 million for our database from the National Human Genome Research Institute and $7 million for the stock center from the National Center for Research Resources. We will double the size of our staff to 40 and be able to meet better the needs of the researchers working around the world on zebrafish projects. The number of NIH-supported projects in the United States alone has increased from fewer than 25 to more than 200 in the past decade.

http://president.uoregon.edu/speeches/zebrafishtalk.shtml

http://www.neuro.uoregon.edu/

http://zfin.org/cgi-bin/webdriver?MIval=aa-ZDB_home.apg

Interested? Yes I am. Able to make it? No I am not.

For those who haven't had a tour of it, you must go. This is an awesome site. If I am not mistaken, in the filter room there is a filter as tall as a two story house. It is at least as tall as a one story house.

Really cool place.

I'm just trying to see if it will be worth my time and effort to set this up. Its gonna take some legwork by me and lots of phone time. For 4 ppl it just isn't worth it :(

But who knows, maybe more will chime in.

Miles, I do research at OHSU and we do collaborate with the Zebrafish's group including Monte's lab at UVO. If there is a dedicated group (even only 4-5) I can help you get this tour a reality. I would just let it slide for a few days until enough people have had time to see this thread (I just saw it today myself). And then I can directly contact them and help organizing a tour.

From PI to PI I am confident they will be agreable to the idea. Probably the shorter the tour the better (30 min to 1hr) as researchers don't really like to spend hours and hours away from their burning projects.:D However we could check with them to see what they would have in mind.

Other issues with research group is the concern about PETA, and they do not like to open-up their lab to strangers. So if it is educational for this group it might aactually work, although the idea of getting bunch of info released to teh public might not enchante them greatly (to be debated with them)

Contact me directly...;)