burrowing acro worm???

izzypop

Yesterday night I pulled out a Tricolor acro colony that has been sliming all the time ever since we had it. Could never figure out why until last night we pulled out the rock and you could see a burrowing hole in the acro about the diameter of the end of a shoe lace. Instantly that didn't look right to me and looking inside you could see a worm. Cut the acro to expose the hole and sure enough there was half the worm sticking out. By the time I could find something to kill it with it had sunk down into the hole to far to kill, the burrow went all the way into the live rock. We put some super glue over the hole and the acro stopped sliming for the first time ever. It obviously can burrow through live rock and acro skeletons so how do I kill this thing and do you think there could be more in the rock? Anyone know what it is?

Only thing I can think of is dunking the entire live rock in TMPCC for the normal dose.

Sure it wasnt a vermitid snail??

Ive seen several larger types that dont protrude like the norm........they make holes, burrow and i have found all of them in acros and digitata

Super glue covering their hole seemed to work pretty well. I recently heard of a guy who had plague proportions of them and he found some hermits that would eat them. I dont keep crabs so i dont know.

fly guy THANK YOU. I had no idea what a vermitid snail was and doing a search that is exactly what it was. The mucus web that is uses was a dead give away. That mucus web stuff is all over the tank. I want them all gone. I'll try more superglue. I didn't realize a snail could do these things.

They usually arent a problem. When the larger ones take up residence in stonies it can irritate them pretty well. I think most people have them...hundreds of them ieven if you start looking around. Most of them are thin and protrude out a ways.

Ive only heard of one guy who had a serious problem with the larger ones taking up residence in corals. He had thousands of them though somehow. Glue them shut when you see the ones that are a problem and i think they arent really to be worried about.