Troubleshoot my water holding system

Guest Bevo5

Guest Bevo5

So I'm setting up a basic system to house my RODI and mixed water. I'll be doing about 30g water changes a week or every two weeks. Here's what I'm thinking.

-Two 55g Rubbermaids: 

-RODI hanging on wall behind them.

-RODI flows into one (set up with float switch eventually - when I learn how to do that)

-Mag pump sends water from first to second rubbermaid.

-2nd rubbermaid for mixing.

-Mag pump connected to an outlet with a ball valve on the outside

-I can then connect a long tube for filling up the tank or a shorter tube that I'll back into the top of the rubbermaid for mixing water.

I mean - pretty simple right? Anything I'm overlooking? I'll hang a heater in the winter or wrap with some insulation. I have to sort that out as it's in the garage.....

Guest Bevo5

Yeah they'll be covered for sure. I'll just drill the tubes and then put a covered flap for adding salt.

I'll set up the float switch for sure. I'm just now learning how those things work.

Do yourself a favor by the float switch first I flooded my house six times before bought one. and every time I thought I'd remember but six hours later one of my family members would come screaming that the house is flooding????

Do yourself a favor by the float switch first I flooded my house six times before bought one. and every time I thought I'd remember but six hours later one of my family members would come screaming that the house is flooding

So true!! It is like a requirement of a reef keeper...  I know a super sharp guy that regularly flooded his room, it happens to the best of us!

Guest Bevo5

Ha. Ok I'll listen to y'all's consistent advice and set up the switch. It'll all be in my garage that has a drain in it anyway. But saving water is good.

Guest Bevo5

Will this set-up work?

http://spectrapure.com/Float-Level-Controller-for-RO-RO-DI-systems

I'm not sure what all it is - but I'm assuming you hook the water line up to that big bladder thing and then the valve will shut it off from within there so no more water enters the unit? Basically, my faucet will always be open but this will only allow it to run through when the water is needed?

Guest Bevo5

Yeah the float stops the rodi water that it make presher in the box that stop the wast water.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm going to order one today and tinker with it.