Behind the scenes at Shark Reef in Vegas (very pic intense).

reefgeek84

So I went to Vegas over the weekend and had to stop by and check out the 1.6million gallon aquarium (total volume) at Mandolay Bay Hotel. When I got there, I found out that you could take a behind the scenes tour of all the equipment, so I thought it would be cool to see and I also had the club in mind when I decided to see it (I know there are alot of equipment junkies on the board). So I drug, now Finance (I proposed in vegas) through the tour of behind the scenes. They usually have groups go through, but no one else was there at our time so it was just us two, so it was a private tour.

Some of the pics are not the greatest, sorry alot of areas had weird shadowing and some tight spaces so it was hard to get some full shots... I will do my best to remember all the details on everything, but some stuff I know I will not be able to remember...so I apologize, but here we go...

sharkreefsign.jpg

This sign was cool on the wall, it was put on there via a projector and when you walked in front of the sign it got all distorted.

sharkreefdistortsign.jpg

How they have their aquariums set up

filtrationpic.jpg

Protien skimmers, they had three of these in action

proteinskimmer.jpg

Ozone generator display, they run three of these

ozonegenerator.jpg

Ozone reactor chamber, also run three of these

ozonereactor1.jpg

Display of the trickle filters they use, they have three huge trickle filters. These use bio wheels, which are as round as a 2 liter bottle and half the height

biowheels.jpg

The actual trickle filters

tricklefilters.jpg

Fresh RO/DI water storage tank, they have 5 of these which are 15k gal. each

freshwatertank.jpg

Freshly made saltwater storage tanks they had 2 of these, you can see in the left hand corner, a white bag, it is instant ocean (another pic a little later will show the size better)

saltstoagetank.jpg

Remote sand beds, a whole bunch, they were huge

remotesb.jpg

Back side of remote sand beds

remotesb2.jpg

Pump for the remote sand beds, 60hp, the pump can empty a homes private pool in 2 mins

remotesbpump.jpg

more of the piping for the remote sand beds

remotesbpiping.jpg

Misc. piping, just to show the sheer size and amount

randompiping.jpg

randompipe.jpg

pumps3.jpg

Misc. panels to control things

(this is where you see a better shot of the instant ocean bag)

panel3.jpg

panel2.jpg

panel1.jpg

More pumps, not sure what for the bigger ones are 10hp pumps

pumps1.jpg

One of the chillers, they use roughly 4 ft. tall

chiller.jpg

Brine shrimp hatchery, used for some fish, but mainly their jelly fish display

brineshrimphatchery.jpg

More equipment, not sure what for

backwash.jpg

Backwash pumps and system, with this they are able to reuse 95% of their water

backwas2.jpg

Back side of their main display

backofmaindisplay.jpg

Some of their synthetic corals they use in the tanks

syntheticcorals.jpg

Chain mail suit their divers use, sorry really bad shadow, they cost 4k each

Chainmail.jpg

That is it, I hope some people get some enjoyment out of this...There are of course pics of the actual aquariums, but there is alot to resize and go through, so that thread should be up in the next few days...I just thought I would get this going...If you have any questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer them....

Very cool Brandon, thanks for the pics! Looking forward to the display. Those skimmers are HUGE!!!

And congrats on the engagement!!!!

You win any $$ down there?

Thanks for the congrats...

No, I lost about 100 bucks...I was up a few times, but you know how that goes...I would have only won about 100.00 if I would have cashed out the couple of time...but oh well, went down there with the impression that I would lose money.

Reef Shark

Yeah, I was there in June. Anna was our guide, she didn't speak very good english. She let us in a couple other times for free, the first time to ask there life support tech's questions, and the secound to watch feeding time. Watching the Sea Turtles eat was very cool not to mention the sharks,It was a great experence.

anyone have any "in front of the scenes" photos? Ive never been or seen this tank.

Sea turtles? I wonder who they had to bribe to get that permit.

I have front pics, Just alot of them to go through...I will get them posted up here in the next few days, I even have a couple pics of the sea turtles.

its an amazing exhibit. I have been there three times. Twice while visiting and another time since moving here. You should have said you were coming down here i could have pointed you in the directions of some terrific LFS.

I know where i'm stayin next time i hit up Vegas!!! (wife)

The first chance I get I'll post some Sea Turtle pic's and video's of them eating:D

I'm very busy right now so know one let me forget....

**begin highjack**

When I get back from Vanuatu Ill have some photos of baby hawksbills as they island we are staying on is a turtle hatcher/sanctuary. It will be interesting to see how they raise the young etc.

**end highjack**

Brandon, did you take any of the front?

**begin highjack**

When I get back from Vanuatu Ill have some photos of baby hawksbills as they island we are staying on is a turtle hatcher/sanctuary. It will be interesting to see how they raise the young etc.

**end highjack**

Brandon, did you take any of the front?

I can not wait to see those pics...

Yes, I did take some of the front, not the best photos, due to their lighting being super dark everywhere...I will get them up soon though.