Trouble with the tank :(

Cor4eyh

It's been a long sad haul!

I've had 5 fish die 1 anemone, snails and crabs. Also have another anemone in the process of dieing.

The only new thing I started was dosing. My levels were low Kh around 7.8 ph around 7.8 and calcium around 350. The levels are all correct but am fighting many things including cyano, fish death and am really nervous I might be getting the dreaded tank crash.

I had my skimmer die on me a week ago so I ordered a new reef octopus 6 inch 110 skimmer and it's still being dialed in. I'm changing water 5 gallons every other day. Wondering if anyone has any information or advice. For now it's just be patient and continue with the routine...

AAAARREGGGG!!!!

Guest Bevo5

Well. That sucks but it's usually much easier to diagnose with tons more info. All levels. Tank info. Fish info. People here can dial it in quick once you give the info. For instance that 5g could be way too much or way not enough depending on the tank.

Guest Bevo5

Well. That sucks but it's usually much easier to diagnose with tons more info. All levels. Tank info. Fish info. People here can dial it in quick once you give the info. For instance that 5g could be way too much or way not enough depending on the tank.

The Kh is 8.6

Ph is 8.3

Calc is 400

Mag is 1275

Phos .03

Ammonia 0

Nitrite .03

Nitrate .00

50 gallon cube with 13 gallon sump 30lbs live sand 40 lbs live rock running carbon and gfo

Skimmer reef octopus 110

Small refugium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very sorry this is happening to you. Was there a big swing in any of your parameters salinity? Calcium? How are the corals doing?  It does sound like there is something else in the water though like a toxin and not just an issue with an alk drop as I have not had fish or hermits die with simple alk swings. 

What specifically have you been adding to your tank.

How much calcium and alkalinity supplements are you putting in daily? And what are you using for chemicals?

I'm doing my best to add chemical as a needed basis and I know what the Chems say on the box so my tank is using about .03 Kh a day and about 30ppm calc a day so I usually wait a couple days to add a full dose instead of half dosing or 1/4 dosing.

Sounds perfect. Anything else come to mind that changed recently?

Just my dosing. Which if nothing else I'm short dosing as to not over do anything. But I dose alk and cal every couple days. Using sea chem 2 part solution. Also adding mag every few weeks. Other than that the only thing I can think of is maybe the anemones dieing just released toxins or something. I still have 1 happy anemone and many happy Zoas and corals.

I have my brs dosing system complete ready to install but going to build a new tank stand first.

I also adjusted the ph it was at about 7.8 and over 4 days I raised it to 8.4

I also acquired a Neptune apex jr to help prevent any further problems. And create some ease with the tank.

It sounds like you are on a good path. Did the fish show any signs of disease like velvet or brook, ich etc?  Cloudy eyes, ripped fins?

Also just curious how you raised your ph, that can be difficult depending on CO2 levels in a room.  have you checked out RHF PH article?  it is a great one, here is the link:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/

I love his tests you can do to see how high the PH can be with CO2 out of the picture,  very easy and logical.

If you know someone close by have them come check out your tank, where are you at?  Sometimes eyes and ears and a good discussion in person go a long ways.

I know how you feel. I lost 60% of my fish just over a month ago (lost 7/12). Lost a new bta last month as well. I'm sure things will correct themselves. Mine is starting to come around again.

I'm doing my best to add chemical as a needed basis and I know what the Chems say on the box so my tank is using about .03 Kh a day and about 30ppm calc a day so I usually wait a couple days to add a full dose instead of half dosing or 1/4 dosing.

Those numbers seem off...is that a typo, Kh is likely dropping .3 per day.

What needs to happen to do this correctly is to bring your levels up to the top end(8.5-9dKh, 450 Ca). Then measure the drop that happens over 24 hours. Do not wait multiple days to dose...24 hours is the max I would wait.

Then, if your Alk is dropping from say 9 to 8.7 in 24 hours, and 450 to 430, then you just calculate that dose. Once you figure it out, you should only have to check maybe weekly or every other week...

I had that exact size tank, and I think I was putting about 3 oz(squirts). of BRS solution in...daily.

What needs to happen to do this correctly is to bring your levels up to the top end(8.5-9dKh, 450 Ca). Then measure the drop that happens over 24 hours. Do not wait multiple days to dose...24 hours is the max I would wait.

Then, if your Alk is dropping from say 9 to 8.7 in 24 hours, and 450 to 430, then you just calculate that dose. Once you figure it out, you should only have to check maybe weekly or every other week...

I had that exact size tank, and I think I was putting about 3 oz(squirts). of BRS solution in...daily.

I believe your numbers are correct a typo my bad lol

But thank you!

I believe your numbers are correct a typo my bad lol

But thank you!

GREAT NEWS!!!

So I started a dosing regimen with BRS dozers got all my levels up and have been maintaining for a week and am seeing a ton of improvement. My remaining anemone is doing amazing! Took a couple days to raise everything up and test test test to make sure I wasn't overdosing but between the apex and the dozers I am much happier.

Fish are much happier

Corals Zoas are so big and happy! My fish seem happy as ever!

Now to get more snails and some livestock and get my new REEF OCTOPUS skimmed dialed in! So exciting makes me feel so much better inside!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend and enjoying the sun!

• Like 4