Sump In Garage Question

Guest Bevo5

Guest Bevo5

We're looking to move into a new place and I was stoked to discover the wall I would put the tank against leads straight into a closed-in, attached garage. Plus, about 3 feet away from the hot water and plumbing hook ups. 

Naturally, my mind went to plumbing my new 180g through the wall and keeping the sump etc. in the garage. This seems awesome to me for noise, smells, floods, etc. Plus I can easily set-up the RODI ATO etc. Win win win.

Questions for anyone who has done this:

-Would it be toxic considering we're driving in/out? THe car would never idle in the garage but we would still be going in and out. Would I have to enclose the sump somehow?

-Heat/Cooling: I live in Portland so it doesn't really freeze often, but the garage would not be heat or cooled. I would add heaters, but that could get crazy expensive.

Has anybody solved for those issues?

Awesome!

I think you are good on the heating and cooling, I have seen two very successful reef tanks with sumps in the garage.  Neither one of those garages had cars parking though, so I cannot comment on that part.

You can insulate your sump for temp control. Take off in summer. Add like 1-1.5 inch insulation during winter.

I will mention. I had tanks in my garage once. Prepare for rust. Tools. Anything metal that's not aluminum or galvanized will probably rust. Either cover it or vent the garage or something. It's worth considering.

I doubt the car would do much. Especially if it's newer. Maybe if it was an old diesel it may haha.

Guest Bevo5

Thanks all. Question - how is moisture more of an issue in the garage than say, the house? Simply because there isn't as much air circulation going through? I could run a dehumidifier easily enough.

Large chiller in Summer, daisy chained heaters in winter. Those are the two biggest expenses ( well and electricity for the return pump with that head) you will encounter. Being right next to the water heater would be a drawback for me.

You can do it, just take the precautions or it gets expensive fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Bevo5

I'm thinking about the room thing but not quite sure how much of the garage I can take up. Do you have any photos of your set up?

Sumps in the garage have some special requirements. I cover everything to lower humidity and run a DIY polypropylene air to air heat exchanger for ventilation air.

I packed the underside of all tanks with bubble packing.

TODO:  Google DIY polypropylene air to air heat exchanger 

Very interesting, you always have something awesome surprises in the fish room Matt :)

I had a garage setup for a little more than a year. Display in the house, frag tanks/sump in the garage. Had to tear down due to a forced move. Heating in winter was no issue however I never experienced a warm enough summer to cause any issues. Rust on the other hand I did experience, tools in the toolbox across the garage did eventually start to rust. I've heard that given enough time even the tracks for a garage door will eventually start to rust.

E1D5A5CD-B46B-4B9D-8C01-75BEF3878978-143

Edited by fishmanmike01