Jmanrow's 90 Gallon Coldwater

JManrow

Here are a few shots of my recently acquired 90 gallon coldwater tank. 1/2" acrylic and 48"Lx24"Hx18"W. The canopy has LED lighting, and the chiller is a Pacific Coast Imports 1/3 HP GenX CL-850. Tank temperature is currently 63F (17.2C). We transferred 35 gallons of tank water, and I mixed 55 gallons of new saltwater. I would like to thank NoobtoSalt (Jesse Holeman), for selling this at a great price due to his upcoming move, and my friend Michael Richards, and neighbor, Shawn for helping me get this into the house! The water is finally beginning to clear, and everything survived the move from Vancouver, Washington to Sherwood, Oregon!  I will be meeting with Jesse today to get the filter sock that I left behind, and to return his 5 gallon water carboys that I borrowed.

Tank inhabitants include assorted sculpins, urchins, assorted anemones, a keyhole limpet, a sand dollar, hermit crabs, and several snails (Oyster Drills). The Oyster Drills are being donated to Stu for sea star food, as these snails are carnivorous, and feed on other molluscs, such as oysters, mussels, and clams.

I'll post more pics after the water clears.

1_zpst5ihmlwn.jpg

2_zpseestcqni.jpg

3_zpsvwl9qxul.jpg

4_zpsh4dt81ig.jpg

6_zpspdth2yag.jpg

5_zps9ccthhfc.jpg

7_zpskgtkgoqy.jpg

8_zpsmbglptpq.jpg

9_zpsozw60ajs.jpg

99_zpsamgoskzr.jpg

• Like 2

I"m so happy that you got this set up! You are a wealth of knowledge and I'm sure I will learn more about the coldwater world!

Couldn't have gone to a better hobbiest! Can't wait to get my new place so I can get back into the Coldwater world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks! I really do love this hobby. I began with keeping intertidal coldwater marines back in the 1960s, then progressed into tropical marines with keeping seahorses around 1967 or so. My parents kept freshwater tropicals, so I have always been around aquariums. I'm really looking forward to collecting specimens out at the Oregon Coast! :) My dive gear has been gathering dust far too long.

• Like 2

I just bought a second Par56 LED, identical to the one I had won in the Christmas party raffle, from Jesse today. I also bought a medium to mogul enlarger socket that it needed from Platt Electric in Beaverton. Along with some necessary hardware from Home Depot, I'm now just about ready to add the set of Par56 LED Flood Lamps to the tank.

Existing LED strips to be replace with Reefstar LED Flood Lamps. These were adequate for keeping the Zooxanthellae and Ulva(sea lettuce) growing in the 90 gallon, but the LED Floods should be much brighter!

20150429_164540_zpscof0xdge.jpg

Par56 LED Flood Lamps and fixtures almost ready to install, after measuring the amount of electrical cord needed.

20150429_164706_zpsq2j7klvt.jpg

I had forgotten all about the 3 kelp crabs and large sculpin... possibly an Irish Lord Hemilepidotus spinosus , as they were all hiding in a cave! This sculpin has some nice pink markings on it, resembling coralline algae, but is already much larger than all other sculpins in the tank, and can grow to 29cm. (11.4") in length.

The water is still clearing. I am now using large filter socks, and it seems to be helping.

20150430_043112_zpsrg9hla4w.jpg

20150430_043137_zpsqguzlcft.jpg

Yesterday I added a 1" Union Valve to make connecting/disconnecting the pump for the sump easier.

union%20valve_zpsaocykiav.jpg

I also wired the fixtures for the Reefstar Par56 LED Floodlamps. I also added polarized pugs.

20150505_140750_zpsohfcusmz.jpg

I will be installing them in the canopy today.